Chap 38; relinquit aetherium silvam

"So there we have it"

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

The forest is silent.

It doesn't bother anyone, it doesn't speak. It only stands there, creating shadows and homes for little animals. Forests don't have magic, but it still looks more magical than any other living thing. It's safe, it's lonely. Surrounded by high trees and mossy paths and rocks. Sometimes it holds a sunny open, a meadow deep inside the forest. Sometimes it grows berries, flowers and trees with fruit. There are paths inside the forest that no being has ever walked on. Forests are the mysteries of creation, the peace in the midst of all war.

relinquit aetherium silvam, the ethereal forest.

A calm breeze shakes the leaves of the trees and chills the morning air. Somewhere in the far distance a bird is singing, waiting to find their mate. At a place like this one, it's unclear whether or not it's someone's territory. Maybe a squirrel or a hedgehog has laid claim for it, or maybe it's just another kingdom of ants. But it's not like they speak to defend what is theirs. They roam about, sniffing the ground and eating the fresh berries from the green bushes. No supernatural has come here in a long while. Nobody has disturbed them in their peace.

The animals gather around a stream of cold water and drink it calmly. No animal attacks the other at this time of day. The sun lays high upon the sky, making the supernaturals happy and the animals worn out and tired. They would much rather prefer the autumn, when the sky is gray and rainy, the fruits and mushrooms fresh and the air properly chilly. Late spring it is now, the fall is far away. The leaves are new and small, the berries are few and the air smells of rebirth. The nature is back after a cold and slumbering winter.

The peace of the forest is now disturbed for the first time in years.

Dario wakes up with a terrible headache and dirty clothes. The moss is soft against his cheek, the nights rain still cold against his skin. The sun warms him up for long enough, shining through the trees and smiling down at him. Dario squints at the Light Gods might, inhaling the scents of the forest. A mixture of plants reaches his nose and the sounds of birds chirping rings in his ears. It's no longer dark like in the dungeon, or cold and scary. It's quite warm, silent and peaceful.

The hybrid whines inwardly when he feels the biting hunger eat him up from the inside. He makes a move to get up, his numb hands trying to support his weight. Slowly but surely he realizes what is going on. He struggles to sit up and looks around the unfamiliar forest. His heartbeat picks up and headache calms down a little. The trees remind him of the Goddess pack grounds. He must be at the shifter dimension, far enough from the purple clan. The fact calms his mind and some of his nerves.

The final thing he feels is his magic. It's still so new to him, like something is living inside of him. The strong waves of his magic flow around and he takes a steady breath to calm himself. Dario looks around, spotting a curious bird looking at him from afar. The animals must not be used to seeing supernaturals. It seems like this part of the forest has been abandoned by a random pack. Everything is overgrown and the forest, although ethereal, is not very well taken care of. The trees grow too closely to each other and the berries will grow small because of the shadows.

Dario's heart stops momentarily when he spots Maryann laying a few meters away from him. She is passed out by a tree, a small piles of leaves in her lap. Her breathing is slow, bruises still apparent and bleeding. Maryann hasn't died yet, but without proper care it won't take long before she can't go on anymore. For a moment it feels weird to be completely alone with Maryann, probably several miles away from ever seeing another person. But it's a good kind of weird, it's a calm and reassuring one. The less people they see, the less chance of them getting caught.