Chap 35; The truth

"It's time to find out what we've all been waiting for"

Yay I'm ranked nr. 1 on gxgxg for today! Thanks😘

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕

⚠️ blood ⚠️

"She's a lost cause, we should've killed her when we had the chance"

"We do have a chance, right now"

"But what about her powers?"

"Do you honestly think we'd ever manage to convince her to use them for our good?"

"We could always threaten her with something?"

"She'd never allow that to happen, she'd kill herself first"

"It's agreed then?"

"Yes"

"Rise and shine!"

Maryann wakes up with a dull throbbing in her head. Her stomach is screaming for food but she can barely move, let alone eat. The hunger and the uncomfortable chains around her wrists have kept her from sleeping for longer than a few minutes. Every now and then she'd wake herself up out of discomfort and glumly listen to Dario whine in his sleep. All night she's been in and out of sleep, restless nightmares and a biting hunger chasing her everywhere.

The heavy marble door opens along with the sarcastically chirpy voice. The same guards, dozens of Moonwitch soldiers come running in. They are followed by the leader, but no other seniors. Dario wakes up to the commotion and shuffles closer to the wall. He avoids looking at the captors of this temple and focuses on his feet. Maryann senses his nervous energy. For her own part she can only feel yesterday's anger linger in her body, but it's lesser now that the other senior is gone. For some reason she feels vulnerable to be alone with the leader, even though the room is theoretically filled with people. Who knows what she will do?

"Slept well?"
She asks monotonously, but Maryann knows that the words are laced with sarcasm. She doesn't answer the leader, opting to stare down to the floor like Dario. The cracked stone floor is cold and wet, just like when she first woke up. No matter how long she's been laying on it, it still feels uncomfortable to kneel on. The little Moonwitch gulps down her emotions and remaining anger.

"I am here to tell you a little secret, one that only a few people in the world know"

Maryann is intrigued, but has learned to hide it over the years. She listens in closely but continues to physically ignore the leader in front of her cell. The regal Moonwitch stands tall above her, eyes intimidating. She stares down at the student that she has known for years and years. To think it would come to this one day. Gracefully she raises her right hand in the air and does a short waving motion, telling the guards to leave. Like magic, all of them disappear in a matter of seconds.

"I've known you since you were a little child, both of you actually.

At the time your magic was still very new to you. You constantly struggled with it, you were better than most of your seniors and had no way of controlling the flow. I guess I can't blame you for that. You were but a young child, unaware of your problems and capabilities. Maybe things would have been different if your mother actually told you the truth. Instead she chose to give us full custody of you, sent you away for life"