Chapter Seventeen

Barging into the hospital with her mother and sister in tow was not the best option. Sharlene realized far too late. Her mother was like a raging dog breathing down the nervous receptionist's neck. Her demanding sister, who was questioning an innocently bypassing doctor, resembled an angry Goose. The poor guy was drowning in her saliva. Sharlene wanted the floor to swallow her whole from the embarrassment.

Every patient occupying the room gazed and whispered about them, their eyes piercing her skull. That made her wish the building would bury her alive instead.

Her anger from earlier had dissipated and deflated like a balloon. Her cheeks turning pink, she stood like a statue next to her mother. Not a sound came from her mouth, even when her maddeningly angry mother had inquired her input.

Every emotion spoke through her eyes, and if looks could kill, Clarice and Helena would be six feet buried under the ground by Sharlene's stare.

Trying to grab her mother's attention by tapping on her shoulder, Sharlene groaned when the stubborn woman ignored her by shaking off her hands. She was too busy questioning the nervously shaking receptionist.

Witnessing that the security guards were heading their way, Sharlene finally spoke, her voice stern.

"Mom, let us leave before we further embarrass ourselves."

Watching the security guards asking her sister to leave the premises, Sharlene grabbed her mother's hand and roughly pulled her towards the hospital opened doors.

Soon, her sister followed behind them by being pushed or somewhat carried out by the security guards.

"Hey, do not you see I am trying to rectify something here?!"

Clarice's screams were loud.

"We do not care. Please do not disturb the other patients here."

One security guard muttered, his warning glare piercing all of them to the ground, but Helena was not intimidated.

"How rude of you, sir! My daughter is in a dire situation because of this hospital! Who cares about disturbing a few stuck up people! We need answers, not an insult like this!"

Lifting her nose into the air and puffing out her chest, Helena was livid.

Ignoring her, the security guards folded their arms on their chests.

"Please leave the premises, ladies."

Scoffing, Clarice walked to stand in front of her mother. With narrowed eyes, she sized up the guard as if he was poo on her shoe. She was tiny, barely reaching 5 ft. 4, but Clarice was not a pushover.

"We can get you fired for this disrespect!"

Groaning, Sharlene hid her head in her arms when people passing on the sidewalks were sparing them glances.

She whined.

"Mom, Clair, let us go home. I can come back by myself on Monday."

Sending a glare that read: you-better-shut-up-because-we-are-fixing-things-today in her direction, Helena huffed before turning back to face the men.

Sighing while massaging the side of her head, Sharlene internally groaned.

'Why did I agree to this?'

Her mother and sister created a scene when they began to argue with the stoic man.

If only she could turn into a puddle, Sharlene would be happy.

As the scene commenced in front of the newly opened hospital, an SUV with tinted windows suddenly drove and parked a short distance away from her. Passing a hand through her hair, Sharlene was about to walk over to try ending the useless argument when a woman's excited shout pierced the air.