Chapter Fifty-Two

"Maybe I can call back when you are wide awake or another day."

Absentmindedly humming at his words, she suddenly jerked awake when they registered in her muddled brain. All her fatigue left her, as she fervently refused.

"What? No, no. I am fine. Besides..."

Shyly, she added as she gazed at her bare feet.

"I was looking forward to your call."

Placing a hand over her eyes, she bowed with rosy cheeks as if someone was watching her.

Grinning, Nick imagined her blushing face.

Standing, he walked towards the floor-to-ceiling window, which was overlooking the bustling city.

"I was also looking forward to hearing your beautiful voice again."

Giggling, Sharlene sank her blushing face in her lap when she heard this.

Nick's heart palpated in his chest as he heard her gentle and uplifting giggle.

His smile also broadened.

He felt like he was on cloud nine.

The same could be said for Sharlene because her smile was unmovable on her lips.

'Really?'

Giggling like a crazy person in her head, she lightly kicked her legs in the air.

"So...why did you call?"

Thoughtlessly blurting out, she wanted the earth to swallow her whole after her words registered in her brain. Hearing his throaty chuckle, she groaned.

"Is calling my soon-to-be wife a problem?"

Teasingly, he asked.

"No, no. What I mean is, what is the reason you are calling...oh, no, that came out wrong. Can we start the conversation again? I..."

Lost for words, Sharlene glanced at every corner of the room for answers, but Nick readily saved her the trouble, for he interjected with another chuckle.

"I understand."

Breathing a heavy sigh of relief, Sharlene sheepishly murmured.

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright. And to answer your question, I called because I promised to. Considering how short our conversation was last time, I wanted to make up for it today."

"Oh. Then are you busy?"

"Not for another hour or so."

"Is that the reason you called so early?"

"Yes."

"Thank you."

Raising an eyebrow, for her appreciation had puzzled him, Nick inquisitively asked.

"Whatever for?"

Sharlene began to distract herself by playing with the edge of her nightgown.

"For calling me as you promised."

Relaxing his eyebrows when he heard her shy reply, Nick lowly chuckled. After a few seconds, he became serious.

Swallowing his nervousness, he boldly spoke.

"Of course I should because you are someone special to me."

As she heard the confession, her heart began to race, and she felt immensely moved.

In a mellow tone of voice, she replied.

Her cheeks a rosy color and her eyes shining, she looked lovely when she replied in a mellow tone of voice.