Chapter One Hundred and Twenty

Pretty was her laugh, and sweet were her smiles. Her emotions displayed like an opened book on her face made him feel acquainted with her. She was a lovely young woman, someone he was glad to have met.

"Oh, my."

She suddenly gasped when a loud ping erupted from the phone in her bag. Digging her purse, she fished the phone out to turn off the alarm.

'It appears my time for lunch is almost up.'

She internally sighed. Why does time seem to fly every time she is with Nick but travels like an unappreciated snail when she is in the presence of her temporary workmates?

"Is anything the matter?"

Nick curiously asked because her shoulders had dropped, and the smile she had on her lips earlier had diminished in size. Placing her phone back into her bag, she lifted her head.

"My lunch break is almost over. That was my alarm in case I forgot. I always put it five minutes before the current time."

Nick frowned, displeased.

"Already?"

He murmured while glancing down at his watch. It was five minutes to one. How unbecoming. He had only spent an hour with Sharlene, not excluding the time in the lobby and the paparazzi situation. It was not enough. However, there was nothing they could do. His phone also pinged at that moment, and he observed the ninth message Mr. Thomas had sent to his phone.

"Duty calls."

He murmured with a sigh, and though Sharlene was feeling down from parting with Nick for the fourth time, she laughed.

With a half-smile, he stood.

"There is nothing else we can do but report back to work."

Humming, she was about to make her way to stand, but Nick stopped her.

"It is the man's job to assist his fiancé out of her seat."

He modestly explained as he walked towards her with a hand outstretched. Blushing, Sharlene placed her hand in his and allowed him to help her stand. Grabbing her purse from behind the chair, she gasped when he had gently pulled her into his warm and muscular body. Her blush intensified when she had no choice but to lean on his chest, his steady heartbeat echoing into her ears. Lifting her head with a light and soft touch of her chin, Nick placed his face a breath away from Sharlene's.

"This will not be the last time we will see each other. Why don't we go somewhere tomorrow? I did promise I would bring you to buy your engagement and wedding ring."

His voice sounded breathless and made the blush on Sharlene's cheeks intensify, for it was grazing her earlobe. It was like a sweet caress that made her heart race. Her thought processes had discontinued, and she nodded. Smiling, he leaned closer. Speaking barely over a whisper, he gazed passionately into her eyes.

"Can I kiss you?"

Sharlene breathlessly murmured.

"Yes."

Gliding his hand from her chin towards her cheek, he pulled her face closer and lightly grazed his lips on hers. Sharlene unconsciously closed her eyes, her hands lying flat against his chest slowly bundled into fists. Smiling, Nick wrapped his other hand around her waist and pulled her closer. It was a beautiful moment on repeat, but sadly before he could deepen the kiss, the door opened, and the waiter from earlier had no idea what to do after interrupting such a romantic scene.

He became flustered and began wringing his hands together. He glanced at the man standing behind him to observe his reaction, but unlike him, there was a stupid smile spread across his lips.