Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-Three

It was another ordinary week at the office.

However, the joy and happiness Sharlene had tasted over the weekend had yet to fade. She had a natural glow and aura around her for the entire week. And unlike other days when her energy levels were low, Sharlene was hopping about.

By the time everyone in the house would wake up, she had prepared breakfast and left a few notes on the fridge before skipping out of the house with a big smile.

Her odd personality attracted her co-worker's curiosity, for though Sharlene had a bubbly character, she never displayed such uncontrollable energy.

And so her busy schedule went by in a breeze with the occasional lunch dates with Nick tied into the fro.

Now a new day the following week had started. Everyone could finally sigh a breath of relief. The impromptu week was over. Everything was in order. The arrival of the model and important figures was the only thing left to tick off both department lists.

On this sunny day, Sharlene took pleasure in occupying the lounge area in the department. With a medium size mug in front of her that contained steaming and extra-sweet chocolate, she enjoyed the short break before all hell broke loose.

Taking a sip of the stimulating drink, she scrolled through the recent call log on her phone. She had a missed call from her grandmother and mother. Tilting her head, she grew curious about their sudden call. Sharlene felt her heart ping, for she hadn't had the time to spend with her family because of the tight schedule.

With the news of wedding plans in full swing, everyone in her family had retreated into her humble abode and made it theirs. Evelyn had offered to entertain the family, an offer that had come a day after the family dinner. And so, the family's short and awaited vacation had been a blast. With only one week left before they returned home, Sharlene suspected her grandmother had missed her presence even if she was always at home.

Her phone suddenly rang as she proceeded to return her grandmother's call. It was her mother.

Placing the mug on the table, she answered after the second ring.

"Hello, mom. I'm sorry for not picking up earlier. I was a little busy."

She assertively answered before her mother could speak. Sharlene did not want her to think she had deliberately refused to answer her calls.

A short pause, then she heard her mother's husky chuckle.

"It is understandable, sweetie. No need to explain. I hope your morning was good since you did not tell me you were leaving early today."

Sharlene sheepishly chuckled.

"I apologize about that, Mom. The work schedule had suddenly changed, and you know my boss' attitude. She is not the assertive type."

"I understand your reasons but don't do that again. You know how I get when I worry."

"Like the back of my hand."

Sharlene heard her scoff.

"Did you have breakfast? Remember, health comes first. You are no longer alone. You are carrying another life inside of you. I can't wait for your family leave. The first trimester is the most delicate stage."

Sharlene could not help but smile at her reasonable nagging.

"Yes, I did. Don't worry, Mom. I take after you. Right now, I am on a fifteen-minute break."

"That's good." Her tone sounded distant before she changed the subject. "Did your grandmother call you?"

Sharlene hummed.