Chapter One Hundred and Nine

"Well, I'll be forever young. Fancy meeting you there, son. I only came with the determination to see the sunset when I saw both of you in your moment and wanted to congratulate you."

Glancing down at his leg and the crane he used to help him walk, Roger shrugged.

"Unfortunately, I can't stay conversing with you because the old leg is not giving me the energy to stand upright on this quicksand."

"Why don't we move to the gazebo over there? It has enough places that you can use to sit down."

Nick proposed while pointing at the wooden but beautifully decorated structure a small distance away from them.

"That sounds good. We can talk on the way."

Sharlene was confused.

Glancing between the strange man who was called Roger and Nick, she was curious. Though he released his hold around her waist to properly assist Roger, Nick never allowed the arm she securely grasped onto down.

He would never leave her unattended.

Together in a single file, they made their way towards the gazebo.

"Is this young lady the fiance you mentioned yesterday, son?"

Roger asked before glancing at Sharlene with a smile.

Smiling, Nick turned towards puzzled and slightly frowning Sharlene. Sliding his arm to grasp onto her free hand, he lifted her dainty wrist towards his mouth and bestowed a kiss upon the surface, an unexpected action that made her blush pink.

"Yes, this is Sharlene Cunning-ham, my fiance. Sharlene, this is Roger. I met him and his wife on the plane yesterday."

Her mouth formed an 'oh' in understanding.

With a smile, she politely greeted.

"It's nice to meet you, Roger."

Roger quickly acknowledged her friendly greeting.

"Good. Good. Nice to meet you too, young lady."

Turning to look at Nick, Roger suddenly burst into laughter.

"No wonder you turned a blind eye to that busy bee. In terms of appearances, your fiance surpasses her artificial makeup."

Grimacing a little from the uncomfortable encounter, Nick cleared his throat when Sharlene gave him a please-explain look.

With a chuckle, he quickly informed her about the flight attendant on the plane, and Roger helped him clear the not-so-apparent misunderstanding.

In the end, Sharlene murmured, "serves her right," a comment that had Roger gently poking Nick in the side and giving him a wink.

Frowning, Nick raised an eyebrow in question. Drawing ever close to him and thankful Sharlene was still mumbling incoherent words to herself that she could not hear, Roger whispered into his ears.

"Lesson number one. Never, and I mean, never, tell the part of the story that you think your fiance or wife wants to hear, son. They will make up the unspoken half in their minds and confront the not-so-innocent woman who tried to hit on you like a blazing dragon."

Pondering on Roger's words, Nick slowly shook his head.

"Sharlene does not think like that."

Chuckling, Roger pointed his chin in Sharlene's direction with a coy smile.

"You think."

Nick glanced at Sharlene in the corner of his eyes. She had an unreadable glint in her eyes, and it grew narrower when a group of women who were idly passing by had looked in his direction with flighty giggles.