Chapter Forty-Nine

"Your heart must feel much better, sweetie."

Helena, who had remained silent, suddenly spoke while a smile graced her lips, though it did not reach her eyes.

"What do you mean, mom?"

Laughing, when he saw she now resembled a tomato, AJ included.

"Did you not see yourself for the past days? You looked possessed with your phone every time a notification came on. In reality, you were eagerly waiting for Mr. Ross's calls, right?"

"I told her the same thing, AJ."

Rita added, which caused AJ's face to resemble Sharlene's. At seeing this, she inwardly smirked and made a mental note to tease him about the matter.

"And I am happy he finally called and will continue calling."

"Hopefully."

AJ murmured, and Sharlene glared in his direction. Helena just ignored his remark as she resumed.

"Until he returns."

Pulling her into a warm hug, she kissed Sharlene on the forehead. She quickly wrapped her arms around her waist and snuggled her face in her chest.

Slowly, Helena pulled away and further expressed her appreciation with a smile.

"Thank you once again for the dress."

Tilting her head so that she could see her face, Sharlene returned her smile.

"You are welcome, mom."

Brushing a stubborn strand of Sharlene's hair behind her ears, she kissed her once more on her forehead before pulling away.

"I think I will go take my nap."

Smiling, Sharlene was thankful for her mother's understanding, but she detected she was not pleased with Nick's lack of punctuality.

"Okay."

Watching her leave until she disappeared up the stairs, she sighed.

"Do not worry. Mom will come around. Just give her time."

Feeling Clarice's reassuring touch on her shoulder and encouraging words, she nodded.

"Thanks for the advice, Claire."

"Anytime. Now, I will also go back to finish my nap. There is nothing else to do anyway."

Looking in Rita's direction, she smiled.

"Great to see you again, Riri."

Rita returned her smile, but it did not reach her eyes, and Sharlene detected it.

Clarice soon walked away.

Quickly, Sharlene walked over and sank back into the seat next to Rita. Her worry quadrupling.

"You too, AJ."

She said with an expectant look at AJ.

Frowning, AJ was confused.

"What?"

"Aren't you going to take a nap as well?"

His frown broadened.

"If I had to take a nap, you are practically sitting where I would take it. And you and I both know I do not sleep during the day."

"Or in the night. Fine. You win."

Scoffing, for his words, sounded reasonable; she stood and pulled willing Rita together with her.

Smirking, he loudly called.