Chapter Forty-One

There she met Janice and Rita patiently waiting for her a small distance from the door.

"Finally."

Exclaiming, Rita was relieved at the sight of Sharlene.

"I thought I would have died out of hunger during that long wait."

She added further with a long sigh.

Smiling, though she did not feel so inclined, Sharlene brushed the fallen strand of her hair behind her ears.

"No, you would not."

"I could have."

Chuckling, Janice shook her head at Rita's silly whine.

Scoffing, Sharlene began to walk, and they quickly followed her.

"So, what did Mr. Thomas wanted to talk to you about?"

Gritting her teeth in irritation at the mention of the daft man, Sharlene muttered.

"Let us talk about it over lunch."

Instantly, Rita sensed her irritation, and she frowned.

Whatever had transpired between Sharlene and Hector was not pleasant.

-------

"뭐?!"

Screaming that her voice resonated around the already bustling room, Rita's eyes were ready to bulge out of her head. She was shocked, angry, and surprised all at the same time. Expressions that made her look weird, she did not know what to do with herself.

Worried for her health, Janice passed her a glass of water, which she drank in one full gulp. Her reaction was all thanks to Sharlene telling both she and Janice about her encounter with their new boss or whatever he was.

Before her shock, she was happily chirping about the new dish added to the menu and gushing how delicious it tasted. Sharlene was thankful she had swallowed her first bite when she spoke about the experience.

"뭐?! 그 남 자 는 나 쁜 다!"

Snapping when she placed the glass back onto the table with a soft bang, Rita was fuming. Janice, on the other hand, was as confused as a button.

"What did she say?"

Whispering in Sharlene's ears, Janice was curious and surprised by the language and manner Rita spoke.

"Not so loud, Riri, and please speak English so that Jan can understand you."

As she said this, Sharlene nervously smiled in the watching people's direction.

Sheepishly, as Rita realized she was too loud, she cleared her throat.

"Sorry about that, Jan. When I get emotional, I tend to rant in my mother tongue without realizing it."

But Janice was not bothered. Instead, she was intrigued.

"That's alright. I quite like to hear it. What language is it?"

"It is Korean."

"Wow. But you do not look Korean."

Smiling, when Janice had filled her glass once more, Rita realized she was innocently deviating the conversation. Was it because their lunch break was almost over? Or was it because the women sitting in front of them were hanging on their every word. They were their colleagues from the meeting and were surprisingly sitting at the table behind them. Either way, she was thankful, for she could practically feel their eyes gnawing through the back of her head.