Chapter Thirty-Two

"Did you enjoy the food today?"

Nick asked, after handing his credit card towards the smiling receptionist.

They had spent another hour discussing their family and background, their quirky childhood adventures, and embarrassing moments. With a beautiful smile splitting her lips in half, Sharlene's face was still rosy from blushing, and her sad mood earlier had brightened from laughing.

"Yes, I did."

Glancing down at her, he smiled.

"Would you like to come back here again?"

Contemplating, as his attention went back towards the receptionist, who had handed him back his credit card and a medium-sized tablet to sign, Sharlene was unsure.

"I don't know. Isn't it expensive?"

Laughing, after scribbling his signature on the tablet before handing it back towards the receptionist, Nick was amused.

"You don't have to think about the prices because I will be the one treating you. So, how does coming back here when I return next week for dinner sound?"

Passing a hand through her hair, Sharlene was undecided.

"I don't know."

Smiling, he stretched his hands out for her to take, and that she did with a lovely blush on her face.

"You can always think about it and then call me when you make up your mind."

"I'd like that."

Murmuring with a nod, Sharlene allowed him to pull her through the double doors.

"Good. Why don't...?"

As he was about to suggest another place they could go, Nick felt his phone vibrating in the pocket of his suit jacket.

Sheepishly, he glanced at Sharlene.

"Excuse me."

Nodding, she watched him fish out the phone from his pocket and answer on the third ring.

"Nicholas Ross, where are you? I have been trying to call you. Well, for the past hour or so, but it always went to voice mail."

Hearing the irritated tone of his mother, Nick rolled his eyes.

"Hello to you too, mom, and sorry for not answering. I was in the middle of something important."

Glancing at Sharlene in his peripheral, Nick suddenly pulled the phone from his ears.

"You can get into my car."

Frowning, for they hadn't come in a car, Sharlene glanced around her in confusion.

Sensing her confusion, he pointed in the direction where another set of bodyguards was standing next to a parked Bugatti. Her eyes bulged out of her sockets with astonishment as well as shock.

"Why?"

"Don't you want me to take you home?"

"H...home in that?"

Spluttering, Sharlene bit her lip.

Chuckling at her cute reaction, Nick gently pushed her towards the vehicle.

"Yes. Now go. The weather is slightly cold."

Nodding but not entirely sure, Sharlene walked towards the vehicle, where the bodyguard quickly opened the passenger door for her. Watching her, for every second, she would turn to look at him with that are-you-sure-I-can-enter-this look; Nick urged her on with a nod.