Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-Four

The following Monday was as hectic as Sharlene envisioned.

Hopefully, she was not oblivious because Madam Sinclair had diligently informed her of the latest drama circulating in the office and media.

Her mind flew to her cousin Lydia when she heard the news.

'She wouldn't be the one involved in these scandals, would she?'

She had thought with slight worry. Though her cousin had cut ties with the family a long time ago, she was still considered family. However, she worried for nothing because the model was someone else.

Nonetheless, work quadrupled from the issue, the papers piled on her desk; the beginning of the busy week.

With the activities for the event postponed until Wednesday, she was assigned to sort through different documents handed in from the department.

Remembering the emergency meeting held in the morning, she sighed.

With their time together lingering above their heads, Nick and Sharlene did not share a word during the meeting. That was because there was no time to.

As soon as Nick entered the room, his mind was on work, his voice holding a tint of irritation as he demanded answers and solutions from the board of directors, Madam Sinclair and Hector Thomas.

She had seen the stress marks forming on his forehead, yet he was calm and attentive, even when one of the board members said something rude. He ignored their reasoning because they were irritated by the news.

The subject centered around the unnamed model had left a bitter taste in everyone's mouth, but no one blamed each other, though Madam Sinclair had tried picking a fight with cold and tactless Hector Thomas.

Nick had handled the matter nicely by ignoring both parties' baseless insults and inquired about something of more importance.

It had taken two hours for everyone to agree to the newly constructed plans and five hours of planning to eradicate the rumors circulating in the media and company.

Conferences, interviews, and questionnaires; were implemented by the board. With the ever-attentive media involved, the rumors abated. However, the Departments had extra work on their plates.

The finance and management Departments worked as a team overnight to rectify the drop in sales, regardless and reassured that the company paid extra.

Nothing was going to hinder or interfere with the further planning of the event.

In the Visual and Arts Department, the sound of keyboard keys and mouses were the only thing heard. No one said a word except to inquire about documents from each other. Everyone was busy conducting ideas and the research for the new model. So focused were they; they ignored her presence as she moved towards the department conference room.

After two knocks, she made her presence known, but Madam Sinclair was too busy sulking to acknowledge her entry. However, she knew she came into the room by feeling her presence.

Suddenly, she slapped another file on the table for the hundredth time, her head aching from the debased news and the thought of late-night work.

"No, no, and for the last time, no."

She angrily muttered.

Hitting the table with her manicured finger, she crushed the file underneath her other hand.

"How many times do I have to say this? We are looking for an experienced substitute, not a fresh face. Though that model was a vixen underneath, she was still considered one of our best and most talented scouts for the event. Where have those people's ideas gone? Did they attend prestigious schools just for their brains to be muck? Think. Think! That's the only thing they have to do. Think blipping hard! We don't have all week! The models will be arriving no later than next week. The event is soon approaching. We need a new model pronto. They should stop putting their heads in their butts and think!"