Chapter One Hundred and Seven

Briefly, Sharlene glanced around the room. There was a welcoming atmosphere in the area. It was both romantic and calming. Hearing uplifting music lowly playing from speakers installed in different parts of the area, she felt soothed.

Most of the customers sitting on other tables, safe distances away from them were couples, the smiles on their faces and romantic gestures expressed the theme of the enormous room.

"Yes, especially the ocean. It is so beautiful."

As she said this, Sharlene glanced out of the window for the millionth time.

Nick understood her silent suggestion after observing the longing in her eyes.

Releasing his firm grip on the handle of his fork and knife, he suddenly stood.

"Why don't we go see the ocean in person?"

Averting her eyes back onto him with raised eyebrows, she was astonished.

"Really?"

With a modest smile, he held out his hand towards her.

"Of course. That is the main reason I brought you here today, sweetheart. I know how you love the ocean. The stories of how you and your family lived near it; and the beautiful memories you shared about it, a definite fact."

Her cheeks colored. The fact that Nick had remembered that simple detail about her was amazing.

"What about our food? We haven't finished as yet."

She murmured while placing her hand in his.

Gently pulling her to her feet, he drew closer.

"You don't have to think about that. Just follow my lead, okay?"

Nodding, for that was the only thing she could do, she grabbed her purse and followed him.

--------

Eight minutes later, they were standing on one of the planks that led towards the beach. Overlooking the magnificent water that had looked breathtaking from the window, Sharlene gasped in awe, for it looked ethereal in person. The clear blue sky and the faint sunlight glimmering upon the water made it to look like glass.

Seeing such beauty brought a smile onto her lips.

"It is so beautiful."

She murmured, her eyes zipping in every direction to capture every single detail of the sea as far as she could see.

"It is."

Nick agreed. How could he deny the fact? The ocean-- nature as a whole was always gorgeous.

The picture moment suddenly brought nostalgia and homesickness. Sharlene's lips quivered when the thought of her father surprising the entire family of a beach outing many years ago came to mind.

Averting his eyes from the beach and onto her person, when he had sensed her change in persona, especially seeing her bowing her head, Nick worriedly asked.

"Are you okay?"

Quickly, Sharlene brushed the thoughts from her mind, as well as Nick's heartfelt worry.

"I'm okay. I was thinking about my dad and the time he brought the family to the beach many years ago."

Nick inwardly scolded himself for his forgotten mishap. Why had the thought not come to mind before he brought her here? He recalled the moment she had told him about her father in great detail. He sucked in his teeth.

"I'm sorry, I did not think about that. Why don't we return?"

Shaking her head, Sharlene lifted her head, and already holding his hand, she slightly squeezed to reassure him.