Chapter Sixty-Two

Stepping out of the school bus, AJ breathed the fresh afternoon air into his lungs.

Breathing a heavy sigh, he mused.

"Home at last."

Fixing his school bag on his shoulder, he ignored the loud chattering of students, as well as the bus door closing behind him. Soon, he felt the hot air of the vehicle leaving his person as it made its way towards another part of the neighborhood.

Ignoring the raised eyebrows of his neighbor's son, Tom, who had stepped out of his family garage, he rushed towards the front door. On the ride home, he had planned his late afternoon in his mind, and that was to throw his school bag in some corner of his room, take a warm and super short bath, and returning to the game that had become difficult to beat for the past four days.

"Mom, sis, I'm home!"

Shouting, as soon as he had thrown the door open, he did not bother to wait for their reply, as he not so gently closed it behind him and skidded towards the stairs.

"AJ, do not slam the door!"

He heard his mother shout from the kitchen.

"Sorry, mom!"

Barking, he skidded up the stairs with a grin on his face.

Slamming his room door open, he sent his school bag in the left corner of his bed and hurriedly stripped off his clothes. Throwing them in the already vomiting wash basket, he searched through his cupboard for his favorite sweatpants, undergarments, and grey shirt, which had the words 'Don't disturb me because I am in my Element.'

Grabbing a clean and creme-colored bath towel from another drawer, he skidded out of the room, but upon remembering something of importance, he retraced his steps and rushed back into the room.

Grabbing his deodorant from on top of the cupboard with an inaudible grumble, he skidded towards the bathroom. He was glad it was in between him and Sharlene's bedroom.

Closing and locking the door behind him, he quickly jumped into the shower. Humming a Japanese song from one of the Anime series he had found himself watching a day ago, he showered with lightning speed, and as fast as he had stepped into the bathroom, he jumped out.

Quickly, he dressed while being mindful in adding his sweet-smelling deodorant.

Passing his towel through his hair to dry the needless water droplets, he made sure to brush it to perfection with the help of the bathroom mirror. Satisfied and grinning at his handsome face, he rushed out of the door and back towards his room.

Placing his wet bath towel on the head of his bed, he grabbed his phone from his bag. Checking for any new messages, since it finally had access to the internet, he frowned, for there was none.

"Oh well."

Shrugging with a wave of his hands, he threw the useless device in the center of the made bed–most likely done by Helena.

With his smile returning to his face, he rushed out of the room and down the stairs. But upon arriving in the living room, he froze. That was because Sharlene, who seldom watched television–unless there was a great movie or show airing on Netflix–was sitting with Janice and Rita, flagging both sides on the sofa. His mother was nowhere in sight. It appeared she was on her way for a nap when he had just arrived.

"Hey, pipsqueak."

He teased, and Sharlene fired back with a smile.

"Hey to you too, Blue-eyed devil."

He glanced in Janice's direction.

"Hello, Jan."

"Hi, AJ. How was school?"