Chapter One Hundred and Fifty

She was on her best behavior. With her arms interlocked with Helena, Irene's lips were pursed as she glanced around with her eyes. On their way to the mansion, she had remained silent, as if she was born mute. That is until she met Nambe, of course.

Provided with vehicles that had spiked the neighbors' curiosity and attention, the Macintyre family felt like royalty, something unfamiliar and suspicious, especially to the ever-attentive matriarchal.

Sharlene observed that her grandmother weighed the pros and cons of allowing her beloved granddaughter to marry into an affluent family. Her expression was easily recognized on her face from her infamous frown, and Sharlene could not help but smile.

"You look beautiful."

Nick's random murmur broke her attention, and Sharlene blushed as she glanced up at him.

"Thank you."

She shyly expressed, her words bringing an ear-to-ear grin onto Nick's lips. With their hands still interlocked and making no room to separate, Sharlene and Nick made the most beautiful picture.

Hearing a scoff and feeling an unnerving glare on her back, Sharlene turned her head to witness a scowling Nambe walking a few steps away. Upon seeing her eyes on her, Nambe rolled hers.

Sharlene eyebrows creased.

'What was her issue?'

She thought.

The moment she and her family arrived, they felt attacked by the woman's unreadable and infamous glare. Retracing her thoughts, she tried to recall meeting Nambe face-to-face, but nothing came to mind. The night of the dinner a few weeks ago would have been a moment of gracing her presence, but Sharlene hadn't the pleasure. Sharlene had never met nor heard Nick speak of her.

No longer interested in looking at Nambe's constipated face, Sharlene turned to look at Nick, and he was shaking his head. He, too, had observed his grandmother's childishness.

'It appears Nick is not very fond of his grandmother.'

Leaving that as a distant thought, Sharlene smiled when his eyes fell on her.

'Are you okay?'

His eyes spoke these words, and her smile broadened.

Sharlene felt dishearted by the unwavering stare on her back, but she knew warming up to everyone in Nick's family would take time.

A few hush conversations and piercing stares later, they arrived at the dining hall. With a smile, Terrell threw the doors open, and the first thing she heard was her name bouncing off the walls. It was the excited call of Riana, and like Nadia, she rushed across the room, her arms opened wide.

"Riana manners."

Evelyn scolded, but the girl paid no mind. Everyone watched in amazement, Riana pushing Nick--who allowed it--aside and pulled Sharlene into a bone-crushing hug. More like a side hug because she was mindful of her pregnancy.

"I missed you so much."

She squealed as she pulled away, and Sharlene laughed.

"I would be lying if I did not say the same."

"Oh, why, oh, why, you can't hug me like that, Nana?"

A playful voice belonging to an unfamiliar man appeared behind Riana, and she gave him her famous glare. You-dare-interrupt-this-beautiful-reunion, her eyes spoke as her lips pursed.

"Don't look at me like that. You wound me."

He joked his hand on his chest, dramatically expressing that her words were arrows piercing his heart.