Chapter One Hundred and Twenty-Eight

Everyone turned around to face the source of the voice. Sharlene's eyes widened slightly, her blush intensifying as seconds passed. It was Nick, and he looked more handsome than usual. Dressed in a button-down blue shirt that complemented his detected contact lens and black jeans, which implemented his long legs, Nick looked as if he had stepped straight from a modeling catalog.

The brown-colored wing covered his beautiful black hair, but he looked, nonetheless, handsome. It appeared he had come in disguise once again.

"Ah," AJ was the first to speak, his eyes scrutinizing Nick from top to bottom. "Who are you?"

Rubbing the back of his neck, Nick felt awkward. He had not thought that far ahead when he stepped through the door earlier.

"Uh."

"Nick."

Sharlene breathlessly spoke up at that moment, unconsciously saving Nick from the embarrassment.

He smiled and would have waved if the situation wasn't awkward enough.

Her heart soared in her chest for two reasons: 1—He had seen her participating in this unbecoming predicament, 2—and she was elated to see him. Everyone grew astonished as they glanced from Nick to Sharlene and back.

"Hmm."

Helena hummed, her eyes underneath her chin, as she scrutinized the well-dressed young man standing in front of her.

Nick quickly explained, as if Helena's eyes demanded an answer to his sudden appearance in her living room.

"I knocked multiple times before, but no one answered, so I let myself in."

She hummed once more with a nod of understanding but became lost in thought.

'This oddly dressed man was Nick? Wasn't he supposed to have black hair and grey eyes?'

She glanced at Sharlene, and observing the fascinated look on her face, Helena concluded in her mind that it indeed was Nick and brushed the wariness aside. However, she was curious about the reason for his sudden disguise.

"If it is you, Nick, why are you dressed this way?"

"Yeah, you look suspicious."

AJ added with raised eyebrows.

"But as handsome as we remembered."

Rita included her cheeky smile directed towards blushing Sharlene.

Nick quickly explained. He was also happy that the disguise was effective.

"I apologize if none of you could recognize me. I do this to remain anonymous from the constant eyes of the public."

"I don't suppose you do this on an everyday basis."

Helena commented after expressing her understanding of his explanation with a nod.

Nick shook his head.

"No. I only recently began this experiment yesterday. I realized that if I did not do this, the media would have learned about Sharlene and brought discomfort to both her and everyone she cares about."

Sharlene was taken aback by his valid reason. It appeared he had done this for her after all. She smiled, her car keys in her hands long forgotten.

"It must be a pain to have people constantly following you everywhere you go."

AJ heavily sighed as if he could feel the headache himself.

Nick nodded.

"Yeah, it is, but as someone raised in this environment, it has become somewhat bearable to an extent, but not for you all. I did not want any of you to go through the pain of others overstepping your privacy."