Chapter Twenty-Five

When she had confronted her boss about her pregnancy, the woman had gone through the six stages of grief. For two days, she lamented in her office and sulked in front of her large window.

She eventually came to terms with the news, but too soon, the pressure and reality had finally fallen upon her shoulders when she realized she had to do all of her work.

She had gotten the short end of the stick.

Sharlene being pregnant meant she no longer had relaxing and free-up days.

Like today, a Wednesday morning, she was cooped up in her office with numerous papers, unsigned documents, and other significant files piled up on her desk.

Wearing the reading glasses that she would rarely wear, Madam Sinclair looked the opposite of her confident and arrogant self. She looked like a nerd, and it made Rita smile from ear-to-ear.

Dropping the pen she had tightly held in her hand onto the document, which she was carefully reading over to sign, Madam Sinclair raised an eyebrow while removing her glasses from her face in her direction.

"Is there something funny you would like to share, Miss. Kim?"

Clearing her throat, Rita quickly shook her head.

"No, Madam Sinclair."

Recently promoted to Resource Manager of their department, Rita had become a regular visitor in her office.

Madam Sinclair did not like it. No, not one bit.

But Sharlene was happy since she could spend more time with her.

"I thought so."

Muttering, Madam Sinclair did not look convinced, but she had no choice but to let it go, as she begrudgingly continued her tiring work.

Sending a wink in her direction, Rita playfully mimicked Madam Sinclair's pompous face.

Sharlene had to stifle her laugh.

"Is there anything else, Britt?"

Annoyed by their silent joke, Madam Sinclair glared at the paper on the desk.

"Yes, there is."

Massaging her aching head, though she was not even half-way through the work, Madam Sinclair waved her free hand in the air.

"Please do tell. For as you can see, I have a lot of work to do."

Her voice was still stingy and cold, but it had no impact because the tables had turned.

Smiling, Sharlene slowly placed another tall stack of papers near the one she had eventually signed.

Her mouth flew open in shock.

"Where...where did all this come from?"

Stuttering, she lifted her head to stare at sheepishly smiling Sharlene.

"The department?"

A smart answer with a small chuckle, she slowly retreated as if Madam Sinclair would soon begin throwing the papers back into both she and Rita's faces. Her glare and pursed lips caused this involuntary action.

Sighing as if the whole world was on her shoulders, Madam Sinclair gruffed through gritted teeth.

"You both are enjoying this, right?"

Rita evilly smiled.

"Very."

"Riri!"

Sharlene was shocked by her honest answer. Rita ignored her by placing down another set of documents on the desk.