Chapter One Hundred and Ten

Her tone was friendly, but her words, not so much.

Ciara sounded sarcastic and cynical.

Unlike Roger's and Dorothy's kind and genuine friendliness, hers was fake. Sharlene and Nick cringed on the inside from her blatant rudeness and judgment. Nick did not bother to accept her handshake. Neither did Sharlene. How could they affiliate themselves with such a rude individual? Awkwardly, Coco cleared her throat.

Pulling her hand back to her side, she huffed.

"Coco!"

Dorothy reprimanded, but Coco paid no mind.

"I don't know about you two, but April has to take an early nap tonight. Frank hates me coming home before nine, so whatever you were about to do or say to each other can wait for another day or time. Papa, please tell your friends goodnight. Your son and his stuck-up wife are waiting in the lobby, and you know how impatient they get."

After her harsh speech, Coco plucked her baby out of her mother's hand and marched to sit on one of the seats in the gazebo.

She was impatiently waiting, her feet tapping on the floor as she furiously began to type on her phone, which she fished from her pocket.

How absurd.

Sharlene and Nick thought while glancing at each other. To speak to her parents in such a manner was debased.

Roger flushed from embarrassment while Dorothy trembled. She was most likely burning with inner rage, but she quickly hid it behind her lovely smile. Tolerance was sometimes the best solution to avoid problems.

"We apologize for our daughter's rudeness, dears. Thank you for helping my husband. Maybe next time, we can have dinner with the both of you."

Slowly, Nick's smile returned on his face.

"It was always a pleasure, Dorothy."

"Please, call me Dolly and my husband Roge. We would both appreciate it."

"Of course, Dolly. Why don't we give you our number so we can keep in touch?"

He suggested, and they nodded. Without hesitating, Dolly removed her phone from her purse and passed it to Nick. Punching and saving his number on her phone, he gave it to Sharlene, who quickly mimicked his action before returning it to Dolly.

"It was nice meeting you two again."

"Likewise, son. We will see more of the both of you sometime in the future. Have a goodnight and take good care of Sharlene."

"I will."

Chuckling, they began to make their way towards their grumbling daughter. Without waiting any longer, she stood and began brisk walking, Dorothy and Roger walking fast as possible behind her. Soon, they were out of the gazebo, but yet to be out of sight.

"How rude. I could never talk or treat my mother like that unless I wanted a spanking."

Sharlene murmured, and Nick nodded in agreement.

"You took the words right from my mouth, sweetheart."

Gasping, she turned away from the trio, who were already a great distance from them.

"You have received a spanking from your mom at your age?"

Chuckling, he took her shoes from her hands and placed them into the concrete steps in front of them.

"You are never too old to get a beating, Shar."

Giggling, she suddenly squealed when he had suddenly lifted her princess style into his arms.