Chapter Seventy-One

After leaving Timmy to his devices, Sharlene's nervousness that had evaporated with his company came back ten-fold, her hands shaking fiercer than before. Flexing her free fingers and her toes in her shoes, she increased her steps, for she wanted to be as early as possible. When she broke the last corner before entering the familiar setting, Sharlene's wobbling lips formed a sweet smile when she spotted Janice flamboyantly speaking to someone on the telephone.

Hearing her nearing footsteps, she lifted her eyes. Smiling, she politely ended the call, then quickly scribbled something in the book on the desk in front of her.

"You are fifteen minutes earlier than one o'clock, Shar."

Placing the document and her phone on her desk since her sweaty hands were causing discomfort, Sharlene nervously grabbed the end of her ponytail-styled hair and threaded her fingers through the silky strands.

"I know. I just wanted to get it over with."

She murmured, her body involuntarily shaking due to her bubbling nervousness.

Digging through a cupboard in front of her left leg, Janice passed a tissue paper towards her. She had spotted Sharlene wiping her hands down her side while jumping from one foot to the next. Her perspiring face was threatening to ruin the little makeup she had applied.

"Thank you."

Grabbing the tissue paper with appreciation, she gingerly wiped her face.

"I hope I am not looking like a pale fish right now."

She jested after her face was wiped clean.

"I would be lying if I told you, you do not look like one."

"Really?"

Sharlene gasped while disposing of the tissue paper into the small bin Janice had stretched towards her.

"Yes."

Janice murmured as she returned the bin onto the ground.

"I did not bring my mirror with me. Do you have one?"

Nodding, Janice dug through her bag. Taking out a cute pink case round handmirror, she handed it to her, which she gingerly accepted.

"Thank you. You are a lifesaver."

Sighing with relief, Sharlene quickly opened the mirror and examined her face. Groaning, she touched her cheek. After a few minutes of watching her face, she handed her back the hand mirror.

"I look like a white sheet."

"Oh, don't be hard on yourself. I am sure Mr. Thomas would not worry about your—"

The opening of the opaque glass double doors in front of her opened office cut off Janice's encouraging words.

It was by Mr. Thomas, who was dressed immaculately in a grey suit that contrasted with his black eyes. In his hands was a small briefcase. Glancing at his watch, he looked as if he was about to leave for another significant appointment.

"Miss. Jan, you..."

He spoke while lifting his eyes but paused in both sentence and movement. That was because of Sharlene's sudden presence.

She bristled.

Who wouldn't in this awkward situation?

"This—?"

Hector opened his mouth to speak, but Janice's interjection had unknowingly saved the day.

"Miss. Cunning-ham came to deliver the documents you wanted, sir."