Chapter Fifty-Seven

"I cannot believe you'd say or think of something like that. You clever girl."

Rita said with a smile.

"I can't believe myself either."

Laughing, Sharlene danced giddily on the bed.

"I am so proud of you, Shar, and what happened after you told him that?"

Jan asked, her hands busy digging through the contents of her bag for her favorite notebook and pen.

"He choked."

"Wait, what?"

Jan and Rita spoke in sync, their eyebrow meeting their hairline.

"He choked."

They shared a look before glancing back at her.

"Like choked, choked?"

Frowning, Sharlene was confused.

"Is there another term for choke?"

"Yes, there are many different definitions of choke in the dictionary. The most popular is choking on your food–"

Hastily, Sharlene interjected while shaking her hands in front of her face.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, and no. Nick did not choke on his food because he was not eating. He choked because he lost his breath."

"Oh, thank god."

The girls sighed with heavy breaths of relief.

"Oh my word, Shar. Did you almost send my brother-in-law to his grave by choking on air?"

Rita gasped, her eyes ready to pop out of her sockets.

Rattled, Sharlene hurriedly denied.

"No, I did not. And who's your brother-in-law?"

Smugly, Rita spoke while squaring her shoulders. With pride, she said.

"Of course, he is my brother-in-law, and when I meet him again, I will tell him about all your embarrassing childhood memories."

Hiding her blushing face in her hands, Sharlene groaned.

"Argh, Riri."

Jan curiously asked.

"So, then what happened? Did he accept your reward, you know, after he caught his breath?"

"Yes, he did. He also mentioned about us going to buy engagement and wedding rings."

Squealing, Rita pulled her into a tight hug.

"I am so happy for you!"

"Can't...breathe."

Wheezing, as she firmly tapped on Rita's back, Sharlene greedily socked in the air into her lungs when she instantly pulled away.

"Boy, you sure of a firm grip, Riri."

Ignoring her statement, Rita continued to gush.

"I am so proud of you!"

With a wink in her direction, she tapped her blushing cheeks.

"Your man sounds like a keeper!"

"He is not my man."

Mumbling, Sharlene pushed her hands away.

"Of course he is! Your baby daddy/fiance/husband all in one at the same time. I call it an entire package deal! Who could ask for more?!"

Exclaiming, Rita was over the moon with joy for her best friend.