Chapter Nineteen

Five minutes later, they arrived at a set of black colored double doors.

"This is it, but he's..."

"Whatever, dearie."

Dismissing Sherlene's statement, Evelyn smiled before pushing the doors open and walking into the room like she owned the place. The men involved in a conversation were stunned, especially Nicholas, who was in the process of handing the mayor a document. The intrusion was unexpected.

"Mother?"

He questioned, his voice wary and guarded as if she was here to throw another tantrum. Unfortunately, his father was not there to stop her if she did.

"How can I help you, Mrs. Ross?"

Standing from his seat, Doccharles frowned while Nicholas tried conveying messages with his eyes with his mother to leave the room. However, the stubborn woman ignored his signal. She was a woman on a mission. With a pearly white smile that did not reach her eyes, she elegantly greeted Doccharles.

"With quite an issue, Mr. Mayor."

The other men were quickly dismissed by Nick when he realized whatever his mother had brought to their attention seemed pressing. They closed the doors with a soft click behind them, but their curiosity was beyond unfulfilled.

"I bought them here, papa."

In a sickly sweet voice, Sherlene skipped towards her father with a breathtaking smile. She stole glimpses in Nicholas's clueless direction, the sly streak in her eyes hidden behind her laugh line.

"Oh, I see."

Nodding, Doccharles understood, but glancing at the three unfamiliar and ordinary-looking people standing behind her, he frowned.

"And who might you three be?"

"So you're the mayor of Colorado."

It was not a question that Helena asked as she scrutinized the short man standing next to his venomous snake daughter.

"Mom, please be polite."

Sharlene embarrassingly muttered as she avoided the glare from Sherlene. Clarice had witnessed her discomfort and sent a heated glare at Sherlene. They were like cats waiting patiently for the right moment to strike.

'It is so childish.'

Sharlene thought while rolling her eyes.

"How can I be polite to the man who caused this fiasco? He is the owner of this place, is he not?"

Resisting the thought of smacking her forehead, Sharlene wanted the ground to swallow her whole.

"What? What is going on?"

Doccharles questioned, his eyes bouncing from Evelyn to Helena.

Sighing, Evelyn placed a strand of her Auburn shoulder-length hair behind her ears. That showed she meant business.

"I am sorry, Mr. Doccharles, but it appears some nurses made a mistake between an insemination and Pap smear examination."

Nicholas was stunned by that discovery.

"How can that be?"

He questioned, and Sharlene spoke up, a blush adorning her face when the exceptional businessman her boss had spoken to her about on many occasions was standing a few feet away.

'He was even more handsome up close.' She thought with an inner girlish giggle.

"The receptionist called me earlier today and told me that. She said I should come to the hospital to rectify this, but when my mother inquired the receptionist about this,"