Chapter Ninety-Eight

Grimacing, Sharlene abruptly pulled Rita back into a warm and comforting hug. Lovingly passing a hand down her back, she murmured near her ear.

"There, there. I am sorry."

Hiccuping, Rita continued to bawl her eyes out, her tears soaking the collar of Sharlene's dress.

Concerned for her health, Sharlene slowly pulled back. Drying her tears with the back of her hands, she practically begged.

"Please stop crying, Riri. It'll make you sleepy, and you'll miss your wedding if you do."

Instead of her words prompting Rita's waterworks to end, it intensified. Rattled, Sharlene gave herself a mental slap.

"Oh, man. Did I make it worse?"

She grumbled as she grabbed her shoulders.

"Okay. Forget what I said before, okay? Can you sit back down?"

Rita nodded her head, and she gently escorted her back to the bed, where Helena engulfed her in another hug. Rocking her back and forth until her sobs decreased into sniffles, Helena repeatedly kissed her on the forehead. Breathing a heavy sigh of relief, Sharlene was thankful her distressing sobbing had ended.

Removing a box of tissues she bought on their way from her purse, Janice passed it over to her.

"Thanks, Jan."

Rita expressed with another sniffle after pulling away from Helena's arms.

"Anything for you, Riri."

Watching her lips wobbling once again, Sharlene quickly removed a tissue paper from the box and began gently wiping her eyes.

"No more crying, Riri."

Throwing the soiled tissue in the small bin, which her mother placed on the floor near them, she proceeded to take another one.

"You'll make yourself sick."

Muttering, she repeated the same action until Rita's eyes were dry, then discarded it into the bin.

Silently nodding, Rita took two more and loudly blew her nose.

"Ew, gross! Your snort flew all over me!"

Exclaiming, Sharlene grabbed a tissue and began vigorously wiping the grim off her hand. Everyone started laughing at her predicament, but she was not disturbed by the thought because Rita's sadness had evaporated from her action.

"Sorry."

She apologized while clearing her throat, but her smile remained. Shaking her head, Sharlene discarded the tissue.

After another minute or so of blowing her nose, Rita was looking rosy.

"How are you feeling?"

Janice asked.

"I feel much better."

Rolling her eyes, Sharlene playfully flicked her nose, to which Rita fake bawled.

"You drama queen."

Gasping as if offended, Rita placed a hand against her chest.

"I am not a drama queen."

"You aren't?"

Sharlene sarcastically gasped.

"Of course not."

She grumbled.

"Then how many times have you cried before yours truly comes and saves the day?"