Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-One

"What?"
Nambe asked, her eyebrow raising to her hairline.

Rolling her eyes, Irene placed a grape inside her mouth after releasing her hold on Sharlene and Nick's hands.

"I don't think you have reached the age where your hearing is failing, as your eyesight, Nambe. It is simple. Your grandson is in love with my granddaughter. You might not believe in love at first sight, as do I, but some do. Shouldn't everyone's point of view be taken into consideration?"
Irene's words were astonishing. The most brooding and contemplating person in the family was sharing her view of a matter she had denied a few days prior.

Gritting her teeth and forming fists with her hand, Nambe shot up from her seat. Pointing an accusatory finger in her direction, she barked.
"What do you know? Knowing you, I am sure you were displeased with this arrangement."

"Of course I was. Who wouldn't be? But seeing the affection Nicholas and Sharlene held for each other changed my view. Any blind man can see the two like each other if not love."

Nick and Sharlene shared a glance, the question 'Do you' reflecting in their eyes.

Nambe gasped.
"Are you saying I am blind?"

"If the shoe fits, wear it."

"Irene Macintyre!"

Nambe shouted, and Evelyn snapped.

"Mother, you are disturbing."

"Disturbing? How can you say that, Evelyn? Did I travel from Florida to be treated as an outsider?"

"Mom did not tell you to come with your legs and arms bound, Grandma."
Cline smartly remarked, and Nambe exploded.

"You will shut your mouth, Cline!"

"Mother, don't you dare raise your voice for my son!"

Nick grimaced. The argument had escalated into something dangerous. Watching his father trying to console his mother made him realize if Nambe is not removed from the room to catch her breath, she will die from a heart attack. That was something neither of them could stomach at the moment, not on the night when he would finally get the opportunity to ask for Sharlene's hand in marriage in front of the family.

He was about to stand and personally remove his grandmother from the room, but Irene's statement captured his attention.

"Young lady."

She was looking at the young woman sitting next to Nambe. No one had noticed her until she had pointed her out. It was the number one trait of Aija Wilde. She would make herself irrelevant in a room where she would become invisible. Anti-social was a far stretch to describe her, but she did not enjoy large crowds and gatherings.

Every eye turned in the direction Irene was looking.

"Me?"
Aija's response was phrased into a question while pointing at herself. She abandoned the delicious meal. Throughout the entire ordeal, she had wanted to sink into her chair and disappear into thin air. Aija knew she did belong on this joyous occasion, but she had no choice.

Her eyes had widened at the beautiful--no--gorgeous young woman that was Nick's fiance. Her presence had brightened the room. Gaining the attention of the trio had been a blessing in disguise. Aija hated the worthlessness she felt, but she had to endure.

She was happy Nick had found someone who had captured his attention and affection.
'She is like a princess.'
Her words expressed in her mind described Sharlene.

"Yes, you."

Aija beat her eyes to refocus on the conversation at hand. "May I know your name?"

She felt Nambe's eyes on her, and she sighed as she placed down her fork. Did she finally remember her existence?