⚢ | Preface

Orlando, Florida
August 30, 2021

Nova
May, 2021

"Your father and I are separating, baby" my mother caressed my cheek as she and I sat in the living room of our family's Victorian home. As I sat there, my mother's words sinking in, I couldn't help but reflect on the shattered illusion of my once-happy family. For years, I had taken pride in being one of the few kids with parents who were still happily married. It was the one aspect of my life that seemed to set me apart from the rest, a small victory amidst the chaos that consumed me.

But life had a way of reminding me that happiness was fleeting and that day, it had come crashing down. My parents were separating, and I couldn't shake off the weight of disappointment that settled within me. It seemed that even the one thing I held onto tightly had slipped through my fingers.

In the grand scheme of things, I wasn't an outcast, but my existence felt lackluster. I was an average brown-skinned girl, blending into the crowd, always overshadowed by those who possessed more striking features. My bubbly and talkative personality, once a source of joy, had become a target for ridicule. People found my openness annoying, branding me as the girl to avoid, the one deemed weird and prudish.

Perhaps it didn't help that I lacked the physical attributes that society deemed desirable. My figure was far from voluptuous, and I clung onto my virginity like a fat kid holding cake. It wasn't out of fear or waiting for some grand moment; rather, I saw high school as a breeding ground for gossip and drama. I hadn't found anyone who ignited that spark of desire within me and so I remained steadfast in my decision to wait.

Outside the realm of school, my personal life was plagued by tragedy. The loss of my cousin, my confidante and closest friend, at the tender age of ten left an indelible mark on my soul. The pain only deepened when her mother, my aunt, succumbed to the guilt within her and took her own life.

And then there was my family, a tangled web of dysfunction and despair. My grandfather, a once-respected figure, had fallen to alcoholism, leading him down a path of destruction. His alleged crimes, the accusations of molesting a young girl, shattered any remnants of respect I had for him. And as for my uncle, whispers of his involvement in a botched prostitution deal followed him, forcing him to flee the country and leaving behind a trail of uncertainty and shame.

- Present Times

What my mom didn't tell me on that fateful day three dreadful months ago was that my dad was leaving my life for good. I was an only child, and I guess that wasn't good enough for my father. Although he never directly said he regretted me or that I wasn't enough, he constantly inferred it. Many times more than not, my dad stated that he wished he had more children or that he had a "mini-me" to do boy stuff with.

When I think about it, I get upset. What did I ever do to deserve this? I always respected my parents and I tried my best to make my mother and father happy. But the first chance my dad got to leave, he did. I don't even know what happened, he and my mom seemed perfect. The only conclusion I can come up with is some type of cheating going on, them most likely only fighting when I was at school. But once they saw that eleventh grade was coming to an end and I no longer had the luxury of being out and about all day, being busy with school and other things, they figured they had to tell me.

Or my mom figured she had to tell me.

I never really saw my dad after that day. For a little while, he would call and make sure I was alright, but now he doesn't even do that. When I call, he just declines. I'm sure he found a new wife who has three cool sons that he can do boy stuff with.

My first day of senior year is tomorrow and I had always pictured my mom and dad being in the crowd when I crossed the stage, proud of me. I now think it's safe to say that I'll only see my mom there, but I'm can't dwell on it. I've dwelled on too many things, like moving into a small apartment across the city, switching schools, and being alone. But I won't dwell on this.

I want to be different this year. I want to be liked, popular, pretty. I want to join sports teams, partake in clubs, and win prom queen. I know what I want is kind of a long shot, but at this point, the one lesson I learned in life is that anything can happen.

Aubrey
May, 2021

"Well, it's the end of the year, so we won't be suspending her. It wouldn't really serve a purpose," my principal, Mrs. Donovan, stated matter-of-factly. "However, she is not allowed to attend next year." Both my parents and I gasped in disbelief at Mrs. Donovan's words.

"What?" my parents exclaimed simultaneously, clearly taken aback by Donovan's demand. "Is it really that serious?"

Mrs. Donovan nodded, her expression unwavering.

"Mr. Bryant, marijuana is illegal in this state," Mrs. Donovan explained, addressing my dad. "Technically, according to Florida law, your daughter should be facing legal consequences instead." My parents remained silent, seemingly expecting more to be said.

"Our school has a zero tolerance policy for bullying," Mrs. Donovan continued, as expected. "Planting drugs in another student's locker out of a sense of intimidation is completely unacceptable." However, I couldn't focus on anything else Mrs. Donovan said. All I heard was, "Your daughter felt threatened by another student's talent, so she resorted to cheating in order to gain advantage." And that was not the narrative I was allowing anybody to leave this room with. Threatened? I'll be damned.

"I don't feel threatened!" I blurted out defensively, followed by a sharp nudge from my mother. I attended a prestigious Catholic school with a hefty twenty-thousand-dollar annual tuition fee. Thankfully, my parents hadn't paid for the upcoming year's enrollment yet.

I've lived a charmed life, winning beauty pageants at the age of three, starring in shopping mall commercials at six, and excelling on the softball field at twelve. Success has always came easily for me.

Coming from an affluent family, though we most likely wouldn't be considered high-class in a place like California, I'm sure, I had a lot to live up to. My parents were high school sweethearts, putting pressure on me to find my own Prince Charming before my senior year ends.

Beyond my parents, my aunt was a famous retired tennis player, my uncle owned a successful clothing line, my cousins were models, and my grandmother had graced the pages of renowned magazines back in her day.

Mrs. Donovan had never been a fan of mine, likely due to my relentless pursuit of popularity and dominance. I had no doubt that this situation would be the final straw, solidifying her disdain for me. So, I had resigned myself to accepting the consequences. There was no point in arguing with a stern, devout, recently widowed woman.

In case you're curious about the details of my transgression, I had placed a bag of marijuana in Kenzie's locker. I then alerted a teacher about a suspicious odor emanating from a nearby locker, leading to a thorough investigation to identify the source. Kenzie was subsequently taken to the office and questioned, adamantly denying any involvement.

Unfortunately for me, the security cameras revealed my actions in full view. When confronted about why I had "planted drugs" in Kenzie's locker, I had been brutally honest: all is fair in love and prom queen. I was informed that my reasoning was selfish and my actions were unequivocally wrong. Kenzie was my main competition for the prom queen title, the only girl in the school who dared challenge me, and had a genuine chance of winning. Naturally, I had chosen to "play dirty" because, in my mind, there were no rules in this game.

- Present Times

This year, I'm more than determined to win prom queen. I was kicked out of the race last year, which sucked, but not all that much because I knew I had another year afterward. I just have to make sure I have a definite chance of winning this time around.

Tomorrow was my first day at a new school. Luckily I didn't have to travel a thousand miles from east to west bumfuck like most transfer students do, but I still need to get up pretty early. I'll be attending Norwood High, which is the biggest public school in all of Orlando. That means I'll without a doubt have more competition.

But I'm not worried whatsoever, I know me. I can win anything if I truly put my mind to it. This year will be for me, and I, in all honesty, feel bad for any bitch that gets in the way of that.