39 | Secret Santa

Nova

It was now the last week of school before the new year, and we could no longer skip home room. Usually home room was "free period," and kids would go out to buy food, take a nap at home, visit people, and so on and so forth. Depending on your schedule, your free period was a different time.

Each grade was doing a secret Santa, and I was given Maddie's boyfriend, Matt. I didn't know what to get him, because I didn't even know him, and he looked spoiled so I supposed he had everything he wanted already. I was also like super nervous because you were supposed to expose yourself by adding a name tag on the gift. I was confident that Matt hated me just like his girlfriend does, so I wasn't too sure about the whole "name tag" idea.

"What are you getting your person?" Jason, who had home room with me, randomly asked me.

I shrugged, "I don't know them well enough" I said, "so I don't even know what to get them." Jason peeked over at my paper, which I tried to hide, but he had already seen it.

"I can help you!" he insisted.

"Matt really wants this mortal combat video game, but he can't buy it because he's not eighteen yet" Jason said, and I smiled.

"Ou!" I replied, "I'm eighteen!"

Jason nodded, "I know you are" he responded, "and if you get it, you'll definitely be on his good side, because Maddie won't get it for him. She's of age, she just doesn't want him playing those types of games because she believes it'll hinder his brain."

My excitement faded, "if she won't get it then I don't think it's a good idea that I do" I said, "because what if she gets mad at me for getting it?"

Jason shook his head, "she can't" he said, "you're his secret Santa, you have to get him something. Boys like video games, so you can literally just argue that you grabbed a random game off the shelf."

"You know what" I replied, "you're right. I don't have a choice and I have until Wednesday to get him something, so I guess I'll just go with that. What's the name of the video game?"

Jason went on his phone to search it up, "MTA Combat Cyclone 3" he said, "it's the newest one."

I took out my phone and began typing in what Jason had just said to me, because I was definitely not going to remember that entire thing. I thanked him just as the bell rang. I was practically saved by the bell, because I didn't know what to talk about with Jason beyond this conversation.

***

"I wonder who has me" Hailey wondered aloud as she and I walked to the store. We had stopped by my house so that I could grab fifty dollars that I had stored in my piggy bank, because I wasn't sure how much the game would be.

"I hope a boy has you" I said, "then when you find out who he is, he asks you on a date and you guys live happily ever after!"

Hailey scoffed, "funny of you to assume I like guys."

I made a face, "unless you've been lying to me about who you think is cute, then I'd be correct to assume that you like guys sis."

Hailey chuckled, "girl you know I'm full of shit" she said, "of course I like guys."

I smiled, "of course" I copied in reply, feeling weird. What did "of course" mean? And why was that put into the sentence at all?

I brushed it off and kept walking beside Hailey. "What are you getting for your person?" she asked, and I smiled excitedly.

"I guess there's a game he really wants but can't get cause he's not eighteen yet" I said, "so I'm getting it for him!"

Hailey smiled, "okay I see you!" she said, "maybe that will make him fall in love with you."

I made a face, "girl, aside from the fact that Lewis and I are kind of a thing, my person's girlfriend hates me, so I hope not."

"Oh, wait it's Maddie's man?" Hailey asked.

I nodded, "yeah, and I can't change my person so it is what it is. Hopefully she doesn't get mad at me."

Hailey shook her head, "she won't, because I mean, it's secret Santa, nobody can be mad at you for that."

I smiled, "true that" I said, and Hailey nodded.

Getting the game was actually a lot easier than I had thought it would be. The guy didn't ask for ID, and the game was half the amount of money that I had on me. I was now super excited about this whole secret Santa thing. I couldn't wait to see my present.

"Some classes did it differently I heard" Hailey said on our walk back. She had gotten her person, who was a girl, a "candy and cuddles" gift basket, which basically consisted of candies, stuffed animals, and good smelling lotions.

"Yeah I know" I responded, "like the freshman class has a system where the person that they're a secret Santa for is also their secret Santa. I think it's better that way."

Hailey shook her head, "no way! because it takes out the surprise aspect of it" she said, "now it's like you know who's getting you a gift."

I nodded, "fair point" I said, "I guess the upperclassmen have a mix and the underclass man are doing the same person thing."

Hailey agreed, "yeah I think so too, because the juniors are doing mix match and I suppose the seniors are as well."

"Yeah we are" I confirmed, "which is actually a good thing now that I think about it, because imagine if Maddie's man had me? She would probably help him make some death bomb that goes off on me and kills me."

Hailey genuinely laughed, "that girl looks about dumb as hell Nova" she said, "she definitely isn't making any kind of fucking bomb."