75 | Cheating The System

Nick

"Did you ever learn to drive?" I randomly asked Nova as she, Jason, and I sat around in my room. She had made her way over here because she said she can't be at Aubrey's place right now, although she never specified why. If it was up to me, she wouldn't be at Aubrey's place period. "Cause I never got to teach you, and I know Lewis got that car, but did he teach you?" Nova shook her head. "Aubrey gave me a lesson or two, but she never actually formally taught me. Life has been real busy, we haven't really had time."

"What if I told you that I could get you a license right now?" I asked, and both Nova and Jason looked at me with curiosity. "How?" Jason asked and Nova nodded, "that's like, impossible."

"Not when your dad's coworkers are sneaky young adults like us" I said, folding my arms. I can call Mongoose and tell him to bring his computer so that he can register you in the system tonight. By tomorrow morning, you'll officially have a Florida State driver's license. Nova smiled, "I'm down" she said, "but what about the driver's license picture?"

"I have a backdrop in my basement" I replied, "we can set one up." Nova stood up excitedly, "so what the hell are we waiting for then?" she asked, "call the mango goose, maroon juice, whatever the hell his name is man!" Jason laughed at what Nova had said, "maroon juice" he repeated, "you got jokes girl."

***

Mongoose agreed, although I had to pay a price, which I didn't mind. I just wanted to make Nova happy, and do all that I could as the school year was closing in to secure my boyfriend status with her. I didn't want this to be some little fake relationship anymore.

I hadn't seen Mongoose in a while, so I was surprised when a blue haired scrawny guy with a raspy voice walked into my basement. "Damn!" I said, as I looked Mongoose up and down, "what the hell happened to you? You look twice your age."

"Life" Mongoose replied, flipping his awfully colored hair. Nova looked unsure as she studied Mongoose, "this won't land us in jail right?" she asked, seeming to have expected a more suit and tie looking dude.

"Nah" Mongoose said, as he pulled out a computer from his big ass man purse and sat himself on the floor. This man looked like a damn crackhead.

"Full name?" he asked Nova.
"Nova Christine Milan" Nova answered.

"Height?"

Nova made a face, then looked Jason up and down. "How tall are you Jason?" she asked, and Jason looked at Nova with confusion. "He's asking for your height short stuff" he answered, "not mine." I chuckled, "I think she was asking so that she could get a guess of what her height may be."

"Oh!" Jason said, realizing. "Man, I'm 6'1, so you're definitely somewhere under 5'4. That's the furthest I can help you Milan." I nodded, "I'm 6'1 too" I replied, as Nova turned to look at me, "so you're like, 5'3, take or give an inch. It doesn't have to be exact."

"Yeah, It doesn't matter" Mongoose replied, "weight?" I lightly bit my lip as I knew this was kind of a sensitive topic for Nova as of. "124?" I answered with uncertainty because I knew she was insecure. Which was literally my freaking fault. Nova shook her head. "118" she said, "I weigh myself every morning." Jason looked spooked, "you need to eat" he said, "I'm like, 50 pounds heavier than you."

"You're also nearly a foot taller than me" Nova replied, "so that makes sense." I nodded, "I weigh 190. All muscle!" Jason nodded and shook my hand.

"Do you wanna donate your organs when you die?" Mongoose continued, and Nova gasped. "Huh?" she asked, and we all laughed. "It's a question they ask everybody at the DMV" Mongoose explained, "It's not meant to be like, personal or creepy. I promise." Nova nodded, "okay okay" she said, "well in that case, sure."

"Okay" Mongoose said, "well I just need you to stand in front of the white backdrop for a picture. Once we're done with that, I'll just need your signature, which you can do by scribbling on the screen."

Nova nodded and stood in front of the backdrop. She smiled innocently as Mongoose snapped her picture. "You're a natural" he said, which I saw to be flirting. "I know right" I responded, "I'm so lucky to have her." Mongoose laughed, "man, she's all yours. She's too young for me anyways." I chuckled.

"So is there anything other than the signature and picture that I have to do?" Nova asked, "like do I need to go down to the car place itself?" Mongoose shook his head, "nah, I'm getting your license and registration shit right now" he said, "so you're good."

"Look at you" I said, patting Nova's head, "a driver!"