45 | Hickey

January 4, 2022

Nova

It was back to school for the remainder of senior year, and I was somewhat excited.

When I had gotten home from Aubrey's house, I saw that I had a hickey or two on my neck area. For obvious reasons I had to get rid of them, so I spent most of last night laying in bed with an ice cold spoon practically glued to the side of my neck.

"What is life right now?" I asked myself, as I sighed. It was like I was this second option to Aubrey, she was technically this second option to me, and we were two cheaters in a closeted, although awfully public, pod. Or whatever you wanna call it.

I mean, I didn't think I was interested in girls, but I'm really interested in Aubrey. I know I am, although I would sacrifice my family to Somalian ant eaters before ever openly admitting that, because she and everybody else would probably use it against me and I haven't even registered the whole thing in my freaking head yet. What if people don't like me over it, or my mom doesn't accept me?

Speaking of my mom, she told me not to touch the car until I got some sort of license because she didn't want me facing legal trouble, which I intended on doing anyways. School trouble was no biggie, but jail trouble? No thank you, my giddy, skinny ass wouldn't last a week in the slammer.

Aubrey

"Hey" I said as Jason greeted me at the staircase of the school, "how was your vacation?"

"It went great" Jason said, reaching in to kiss me, but he stopped half way and aggressively grabbed my neck. "Aubrey, what the fuck is that?" he asked.

"What?" I asked, unsure of what he was talking about, until it hit me. I had remembered seeing a hickey on my lower neck last night, but I told myself that I was just gonna cover it. I didn't really have the patience for all that remedy shit, so I figured a shirt would do. I guess this shirt didn't do though.

"You're hooking up with her again?" Jason asked, with his voice cracking bad. "I let that shit slide for so long, but I'm not anymore. I'm telling Lewis."

"Wait!" I said, getting in front of him. "It's not like that! This is a regular bruise. I didn't see Nova at all during break I swear!" Jason shook his head. "New year, new me Aubrey" he said, "I'm not playing that game anymore. I let too much slide with you."

"So what, are you breaking up with me?" I questioned, and Jason nodded his head ferociously. "Breaking up with you, unfriending you, and ignoring you. You're a cheater, and I knew that but I kept forgiving it. At this point though, I'm not doing that anymore. I don't care about status or prom king. My mental health is a priority now. It comes first."

Jason brushed past me and went into the school as I stood on the stairs, stunned. "Damn" I said aloud, "nobody has ever dumped me before."

***

Nova

The whole day had been weird. Lewis wasn't exactly ignoring me, but he was being dodgy and I didn't like that. The guys on the football team, excluding Matt and Nick, typically said hi to me, but today they all gave me nasty, or weird looks. What the hell?

"Okay I can't take this anymore" I said, walking up to Lewis' locker. "What's going on?"

"Turn your neck" Lewis quietly demanded, and for a moment I was lost. "Why?" I asked, quickly followed by a gasp. Lewis laughed but in an angry "trying to keep my composure" type of way. "I guess that answers my question" he said.

"I only gasped because I just remembered that I didn't do my chemistry homework." Lewis scoffed, "because that's what you would think about at a time like this" he said, before closing his locker. "You know Nova, if you and Aubrey are that in love that you two can't stop cheating on your partners, then why don't you guys just date?" I rolled my eyes.

"Aubrey and I didn't do anything this time" I lied, "I don't know why you guys keep making up shit. She and I were a one time thing, and it was a mistake. We then opted to be friends, that's literally it."

"You are the world's worst liar" Lewis insisted, "because it just so happens that you have a faded hickey, and it just so happens that Aubrey has a hickey as well. You being darker doesn't change shit, I can still kinda see it." I lightly bit my lip.

"I'm just confused" I said, finally giving up. "I keep falling for all these traps and shit, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm sorry Lewis but I just don't know."

Lewis stood there, silently for a moment. He was making a variant of the fish face, which featured his strong jawline, plump lips, and nice trimmed facial hair. He looked me up and down, slowly.

"You know Aubrey's single now, right?" he asked, and I huffed. "Why are you telling me that?" I asked, "what was the reason?" Lewis raised both eyebrows for a quick second, "do you think she'd be interested in a three some with you and I?"

I gasped, prompting laughter out of Lewis. "I can ask" I said shyly, scared to even do that. Lewis nodded, "I have a free crib today" he said, "y'all can do your typical lesbian shit while bouncing on this dick." I mentally cringed at Lewis' words, and was surprised at him in general because of how much of a gentleman he typically is. I assume he thinks I'm a slut or something, so he's trying to treat me like one.

***

"Two things" I said to Aubrey as I walked fast enough to step in front of her. "One, why didn't you tell me that you and Jason broke up?" Aubrey shrugged, "wasn't that important" she replied, "fuck him, I look better than him anyways."

"Two" I said, ignoring Aubrey's response, "Lewis is interested in a threesome at his place today. He told me to ask you and I said I would." Aubrey went wide eyed, "are you gonna do it?" I nodded, "I don't see why not, his idea sounds kind of hot."

"You grew some balls after that strip club incident didn't you?" Aubrey asked, causing me to suck my teeth. "Very funny" I replied, "but no I didn't. I wish I did though, I'm sure balls would be fun to have."

"Anyways!" Aubrey said aloud, cutting me off. "Tell him I'm down if you are. I'll go, I heard his thing is huge!" I smiled, "I'd hope so" I replied, before smiling like a little kid and walking away.