50 | Third Times A Charm

Nick

"Look" Maddie said, as we sat in the empty library. "Prom is May 2nd, which is basically like three months away. Right now, you're in shitty standing here at Norwood. Normally I wouldn't suggest this, but I think it might be your best bet if you really do want prom king." I raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, finish your sentence" I said, "what's my best bet? Cheating?" Maddie made a face, "no!"

"Your best bet is getting back with Nova" she said, and I rolled my eyes. "You know I clearly want to" I replied, "she doesn't." Maddie nodded, "Matt and I are working on that" she said, "because although she's never said it, I know that Nova too wants that crown." I was unsure, but I nodded nonetheless.

***

Maddie

"Where's Nova?" I asked Nick when locker period came around, "I've been looking for her all day."

"She didn't come to first period" Nick said, "but people are saying she's here. I also heard she changed her style or some shit like that."

I made a face, "her style wasn't bad" I said, assuming Nick meant the way Nova dresses. "Yeah" Nick said, agreeing. "But if that's what she wants I guess."

"She's right there" Makai, the biggest drug oriented person to ever step foot in Norwood, said. He pointed at a short haired girl who's face wasn't visible at the moment. She had straight jet black hair, stopping at her shoulders. I was shocked, "that's what you meant?" I asked Nick, "I thought you meant the way she dressed."

"To be fair, I didn't know what I meant" Nick said, shrugging. "She wasn't in first or second period today, and I have both classes with her." I shook my head, "well she doesn't look too bad."

"She still fine as hell" Nick said, as we peered at Nova, who was speaking to her friend Hailey, from a distance. Maybe she wanted a new look, or maybe she had a mental breakdown, but which ever one it was, it oddly came after Aubrey dyed her hair.

"You don't think that Nova cutting her hair had something to do with Aubrey dying hers?" I asked, and Nick didn't react, physically or verbally. "Probably does have a connection" he said, "but what can anybody do about it?"

I shrugged, "I realize at this point, Nova and Aubrey aren't gonna leave each other alone, even if they somehow manage to publicly." Nick looked uneasy with my words, but he didn't really say much. I guess deep down, he knew that I was right.

"Anyways" I continued, "I'm gonna go talk to her before she gets away." Nick nodded and returned to his locker. His whole demeanor had changed at this point, and he just seemed so bummed out.

I didn't wanna bother him anymore, so I didn't bother asking what's up with his sudden mood change. Instead, I walked over to Nova and her friend with my head held high so that I looked confident, considering all that's happened between she and I up to this point.

"Hi Nova" I said casually. Hailey jumped a little because she didn't hear me coming, but Nova didn't react. "Hi" she said in a low tone.

"I know this is a weird encounter, but are you still interested in prom?" I asked, and Nova nodded. I found it weird that she was barely talking, but then again she probably just didn't wanna speak to me.

"Well, I was thinking that Nick and you could try again" I said, and Nova looked over at Hailey with an "is this bitch for real?" type of look. "I know what you're thinking" I said aloud, "but I'm not saying you two have to date. Think about it, prom is in three months. Three months isn't enough time to create another efficient 'love story' with someone." Hailey looked at me funny, "uh, it definitely is" she said, and I shook my head.