33 | Red Flags, but Red is my Favorite Color

Aubrey

Jason opted to drive us to the home that would be hosting Nova's party. I believe it was Lewis' stepdad's sister's place, but I might've been wrong. Regardless, it was a nice 1950's Mexican style home, something that I imagine Frida Kahlo would've loved to live in.

The whole ride was nearly silent, Jason probably just didn't speak because neither did I, but I didn't speak because I was still worrying about the fact that I might be pregnant. Since yesterday, that's been all that I've been able to think about.

I wasn't intending on taking a test or anything of that sort because I felt that if the test came back "positive," I'd lose my focus entirely. So instead, I'll wait until it's clear as day that I am pregnant.

***
Nova

"Why is Nick here?" Hailey asked, approaching me. "Huh?" I replied, "where?"

Hailey pointed to the corner, where Nick was surrounded by a lot of guys. He blended in well, and I didn't even notice him. I debated whether or not I should say something though, because this wasn't even my house, so could I even be mad?

Nonetheless, I still trudged through the crowd and approached Nick. "Can I see you in the basement please?" I asked in a demanding tone, as Nick looked down at me for a second.

"Sure" he said, trying to play it off like he was some cool kid doing me, an uncool kid, a favor. Or maybe he didn't mind, and didn't care about me as much as I had thought.

"Why are you here?" I asked as Nick went down the basement stairs. "Why would you come to my party?"

Nick shrugged, "why not?" he asked, and I rolled my eyes. "Because this is your exes party" I said, "your ex that hates you."

Nick chuckled, "you don't hate me" he replied, finally getting off the staircase. I did the same. "In fact" Nick continued as he sat on a nearby old chair, "I think you're using Lewis as a rebound. You miss me." I snorted at Nick's comment.

"If I missed you I would have you" I said, "I don't miss you."

"You do" Nick retorted, headstrong on his statement. "It's the same thing with Aubrey. You like her, but you're not with her. So that argument is weak."

"Aubrey is in a relationship" I responded, not even realizing the full extent of my words until I saw Nick's facial reaction. "I'm not saying I like her!" I quickly stated after, "I'm saying if I did, she's taken, so your point has a counterargument."

"A relationship status never stopped you before" Nick spat with gleeful sarcasm, and I rolled my eyes.
"Never stopped you either Mr 'she didn't come to my party so she must be cheating on me'!"

I could see in Nick's eyes that he was getting irritated, but he played it off. "Why are you acting like Aubrey now?" he asked, "a total bitch."

I acted offended although I really wasn't. "A bitch?" I questioned dramatically, "how could you say that?"

"Nova, I miss you" Nick admitted, changing the topic. "So why can't you put your pride aside and just say you miss me as well already?"

I shrugged, "I miss our fun times, but I don't miss murder threatening, cheating, controlling, hypocritical maniacs."

"You cheated first!" Nick practically yelled, "God, stop throwing that cheating shit in my face Nova, because you did it first. I would've never did it if you didn't! You cheated on me, multiple fucking times!" It was silent for a moment, and Nick's words were hitting me piece by piece, very slowly.

"Did you have car sex with her?" I finally asked, in a low whisper, contrary to Nick's yelling. I folded my arms as I awaited a response from my ex-boyfriend.

"What?" Nick asked, surprised, "with who?"

"With the girl!" I responded. "The girl that danced on you at the party. Did you guys have car sex?"

"No" Nick responded in a serious tone. "We didn't ever have car sex. Not while together or while I was with you. You were my most serious relationship."

"Doubt that" I replied, and Nick inched closer to me, discretely. "You were" he insisted, "I loved you Nova. In fact, I still love you." I looked into the distance.

"W-Why did you put me through that?" Nick randomly asked, his voice beginning to crack a little. "I know I wasn't perfect, nowhere near it, but you always capitalized on my mistakes. Now I look like some abusive bitter ex boyfriend. I would never have did you like you did me. Never."

"I didn't mean for people to know half of what we went through" I replied, but Nick shook his head.

"If you didn't, then you wouldn't tell people" he insisted. "There's so much shit you did, aside from just that. Like constantly cheating on me with Aubrey, fuck did I do to deserve that?"

"Nothing" I mumbled, and Nick breathed in deeply. His breath was hot and heavy. He was so close to me that I could feel and hear it.

I looked up at Nick who seemed to be on the verge of many emotions. "I'm sorry" I said, "I really am. I'm new to this shit."

Nick rolled his eyes. "That's the excuse?" he asked, as I shook my head.

"Not an excuse" I replied, "I'm just telling you that I don't know what I'm doing Nick."

Nick and I stared at each other for a moment, and I wiped the tear that was running off his face. He slowly wrapped his arms around me, and without resistance from either party, we both locked lips with one another.

"Can you please give me another chance?" Nick begged in between kisses. "I miss you Nova, and I swear we were meant to be together. I'll do anything to change. Literally anything."

"With Lewis around, I don't know" I replied honestly. "This whole thing with him, May, and I is a mess. And I just don't think I'm mature."

"I don't think you are either" Nick said, "but time and experience fixes that. You went through this once, and I forgave you. So now you know better. You know?" I nodded.

"Okay" I replied in defeat, "but we need to keep this low-key or ease into it. I just don't know how to bring you back into my life in this very moment."

Nick nodded as he held my face and kissed me once again. "I know babe" he said, kissing my forehead. "I know. We'll make it work."