1 | First Day

August 31, 2021

Nova

I tried my best to copy the pins for school outfits on Pinterest. I used to dress like a "prude," wearing baggy pants and dramatically oversized shirts, but those days are long gone. I always avoided embracing my body because I felt so inferior to the big-titty committee girls, though I recently kind of realized that it doesn't matter. Once I turn eighteen I can resort to plastic surgery anyway.

I bought some clothes this summer, using the "back to school" money that my mother gave me. I have to give her some credit because she's still making ends meet despite my dad not being here. We now live in a shitty run-down apartment on the other side of town, however, and I despise that.

"Want a ride?" my mother offered, but I declined.

"I'm too old for that Mom," I argued, as I fixed up my outfit. I had a gold belt on with black ripped jeans, a black body-tight shirt, and black moccasins. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't stuff my bra a little, but I was sure to not overdo it this time around.

After some back-and-forth bickering, my mom gave up and reluctantly allowed me to walk to school. I promised her I'd be careful of traffic, pay attention to street signals, and go straight to school. I kissed her goodbye, which I seldom did because she often had these sudden, long-lasting spurs of hostility where it seemed like she hated me, and began walking to Norwood High, the school I'd be attending for my senior year. A fresh start, if you will.

Aubrey

"Mom!" I yelled loudly as I scrapped off the remainder of my beauty mask, "Do you have my clothes laid out?"

I was pretty excited to start at Norwood, but I wouldn't be caught dead showing said appeal and joy. I figured I'd be what most considered 'fashionably late' as well, just for the effect. I want to be stared at and noticed.

"Yes Ms Aubrey," my mom answered, interrupting my thoughts. "I have your stuff laid out, baby." As lonely as it could be at times, being an only child was honestly great! I'm like a newborn puppy to everybody.

I took one last look in the mirror as I finally ripped off the little bit of dried clay on my face. I studied my features: straight brunette hair, ocean blue eyes, thin, though not paper-thin, lips, and thick, but not too wide, eyebrows. I was American standard pretty, and hell, I know that.

As I made my way downstairs, I saw that my mother laid out a white crop top with a woman beater style to it, slick material black jeans, and white plain pumps. I trusted my mom to plan my outfits because she was allegedly just like me when she was in high school. That's how she unintentionally won my dad over.

I checked the time and saw that school had just started. "8 a.m.," I smiled, "good."

I put on my outfit and parted my hair so that it split evenly down the middle. I grabbed my Dolce and Gabbana tote bag, which cost a fortune, and headed towards the garage where my new (well, nearly two years old, but who's gonna know?) BMW was.

I had emailed the principal for parking details about a week earlier, so I had that covered. As for navigating the halls and figuring out my classes, I could just hope that a cute boy along the way would see me and feel bad enough to help me.

Nova

"Shit" I groaned as I tried to pick up the pace, "I'm gonna be late." It was now eight in the morning, which is when the first bell rings. I prayed that I didn't have some super strict up-the-ass teacher so that they wouldn't mind me being a little behind. Maybe they'd even pity me, given I was new here.