5

A palace made of moonstone is what stood before me, bright against the night sky.

Moonstone steps led to the entrance, maroon curtains flanking either side, flapping and rippling in the wind.

I gape, this is so different to my summer manor at home, this place is dark- yet inviting, the moonstone looks as if it glows, and the jagged rocks surrounding it makes the building look powerful, protected.
The only harsh protection we have are the thorns, they may prick but they do not impale, these could cut you in half.

"No words can describe it." Nyx said beside me, looking at it like it's the first time he's ever seen it.

"Your right, I cant think of any word that can sum it up." I walked up to it's stone railings, feeling the cold that hit my skin in a rush. "So you own this place?"

"Technically my parents do, but whatever's their's is mine."

I look back at him, raising an eyebrow and he grins, shrugging.

I make an "Mm." sound, and turn around to walk up the steps.

I touched the silk drapes, feeling them caress my skin- and then slide down my finger gracefully.

"Rare silk, I'm not sure where they're from- but if you're interested in some for yourself- I can find out." He asked from behind me, noticing my interest.

"That would be lovely, thank you."

His character, doesn't quite fit his appearance, he's sweet and kind- yet his wings and violet-blue eyes are piercing and menacing.

Odd.

I walk up to the door way ready to see more.

Suddenly he's in front of me, putting a hand out.

"Wait, wait— let me check if anyone's home."

He winnows away into the palace, whilst I stand outside, perplexed.

He must not want his family and friends to see me, considering their past with my father.

In all honesty, my father has ruined a lot before my life even began, and that has now been handed down to me. A burden.

"No ones home, I guess they're in Velaris, or at that ball." He figures. "Is there something wrong?" His eyes focus on mine.

I look up, not even noticing my change in facial expression. 

I muster up my most convincing smile. "Of course not, now let me see inside. I bet it's going to overwhelm me even more."

He seemed to brush off the non-convincing answer and said "Trust me, it gets even better."

Grinning like a Cheshire Cat, he lead me with one hand.