13

Cailean grinned, clearly boastful of his parents.

"Your fathers the Illyrian bastard, right?" I ask, thinking of when my father spoke of him.

Nyx stiffened behind me, and Cailean made a frown.

"My father prefers to be called a warrior more than a bastard." He smiles, however no kindness within it. 

My cheeks heat. "I didn't mean...my father uses those terms." I apologise, looking to the ground.

"I get it, having a father as an asshole rubs onto to you eventually." Cailean blatantly says, shrugging his shoulders.

"Come on Cail, don't be so harsh, she's not anything like Tamlin." Nyx defends.

"Can't be too trusty Nyx- it didn't help your mother." Cailean reminds him. "Anyway, I'll let you two carry on exploring the city." He then walks off past us, without a second glance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We winnow back to the Mountain palace after we explored more of the city.
We didn't see Cailean again, and to be honest...it was a relief. I have a feeling he doesn't like me- I suppose for good reasons.

Apparently, Nyx has said we're invited to dine at the House of Wind, which I've seen from a far- but not seen the glory inside.
I'm assuming his family and friends are going to be there, I can already feel my stomach twist at what may happen.

I browse my wardrobe, picking out evening dresses- and hanging them up again changing my mind, I want to look extra nice tonight.

I know I'll feel like the 'odd one out', they all know each other, know what to say and how to act. I've had hardly any experience at home- let alone with strangers from another court.

I breathe in and out: you'll do fine, Linetta, just be your normal charming self. I think in my head, trying to persuade myself.

I heard a soft knock at my bedroom door, and go up to open it.
Nyx stood, tall and beautiful- smiling shyly. In his hands was a medium sized dress, in a zipped velvet casing.

"I thought maybe you could wear this tonight...unless you have another dress planned." He asked, holding out the packaged dress.

I beam at him, flattered by this gift. "I actually haven't planned anything yet, you've saved me another hour of searching...thank you."

He smiled widely, happy with my response.

"I'll let you have a look at it then, I'll come by and get you at 9:00pm- okay?"

I nod and give a little wave, closing the door.

Trying to contain my excitement, I walk over to my bed and lay out the gift.
I unzipped the zip and gaped at what he has given me.

The top of the dress had loose silk sleeves (balloon sleeves), the colour of olive- like all the other main parts of the dress. The sleeves started at the neck line of the bodice, which was a sweetheart style. The bodice was the material of satin, where emeralds dotted the waist and neck line. Red thread woven patterns were across the bodice, in the shapes of roses. The skirt (satin also), flowed out slightly around me- patterned like the bodice and had a long slit- making one leg to be able to appear.

Utterly gorgeous, exactly how I'd dress myself. It is a dress, designed for the Spring Court. The patterns, the colours, all matches me. My home.

I smile this huge smile, feeling special and cherished that the son of the Night Court would even do this for me.

I need to get something for him, to pay back everything he has given me- physically and emotionally.

I dress myself- and walk over to the jewellery box stood on a marble table. A variety of jewels lay in here, I struggled to find something that matched my dress and the style- eventually I found a gold necklace, with many dangling gold stars- it suited well enough.

I then started to apply products to touch up my face and then curl my hair, which blanketed my shoulders.

Tap tap tap.

I hear soft knocks at my door- I look to the mirror again to double check.

I breathe in and out again, time to meet his family.