33

Cailean didn't fly me, I refused to be picked up by him. This time, he didn't try.

I walked ahead, so I'm still in his sight- and that he doesn't have to bother me. We're near the city of the Day Court, where the High Lord sleeps.

Apparently, from what my father had told me, his name is Helion- and he is just as infuriating as Rhysand.
Just as well I won't be meeting him, unless me walk into each other unexpectedly.

"Linetta."

I stopped unwillingly, and looked behind me- not bothering to turn around.

"I'm sorry." He walked up to me, and I turned fully around to face him. "I didn't mean to be...aggressive."

I snorted, crossing my arms- my bare arms burning slightly by the hot sun. "Don't bother lying, Cailean, you did mean me harm."

I carried on walking, why bother listen to lies that will just lure me in and trap me again?

"Only you know what side you're really on, you can't blame me for acting on instinct." He defended.

"Why can't you give me a chance? Not once have you actually tried to see me, the real me."

As we reached the bridge over the river, leading to the city- people started to flood around us.

I carried on, entering the crowd.

"I can't take that chance." He replied, his voice muffled by other voices.

I pushed past people as I headed towards the tall and large archway- which led into the first town.

I had nearly reached it- before I was yanked back and pushed to the side of the bridge.

"Stop running off." Cailean growled, holding my wrists tightly together.

"Let go- let go." I half pleaded half growled, pulling away.

Cailean let go of me, frowning whilst doing so.

"Why do you act like this when I only grab you?" He asked suspiciously, watching my expression.

For one moment I forgot about the people bustling past, carrying baskets- wearing shawls and silks.

I watched Cailean's face as he watched my own.
For one brief moment, I thought I was going to tell him- the details of being the Daughter of Tamlin.
But I can't, not here at least.

"If you try to be kinder to me, open up to me- I'll do the same for you."

He just stared at me not speaking, but then nodded.

"Let's get past these people and grab a bite to eat, I need to fuel my strength so I can fly us again."

He walked ahead, and I trailed behind.

We went under the archway, in search for a market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Could have this red apple, please?"

The woman behind the fruit stand opened out her palm. "3 pennys please."

I looked behind at Cailean- he stood tall and intimidating, his wings blocking out the sun- he looked out of place in the bright colours of the Day Court. It's strange, one minute he seems to hate me- and accuse me of a lier and next shielding me from the blazing sun.

He stuffed his hand in his trouser pocket, the penny's jingling as he searched.

I opened my palm to him- which he stacked with 3 pennys. I turn back and smile, dropping them in her palm.

"Thank you, miss, have a lovely day." She thanked, handing me my red apple in a paper brown bag.

We contained down the market, walking between rows and rows of stalls.

I happily grabbed my apple out again, biting into it's juicy outer layer.

"Mmmm just what I needed." I beamed- closing my eyes at the tastiness.

We walked beside each other as we looked for more food, and this market did not disappoint.

"Now I need something, your not the one carrying a ton of weight." Cailean grinned, walking slower as he peered at a stall with cheeses and grapes.

"What are you implying?" I ask, as he pays for a slab of cheese, eyeing him sideways whilst I stood beside him.

"Nothing." He smirked, practically flung his penny's into the shop owners hands- which startled him.

I elbowed his side, which made stagger with surprise, and to my amazement chuckle.

The next stall had fish, layed out on a material I don't know the name of- the fishe's scales varying of colour and size.

Cailean noticed my long stares. "We can share one of you like? It'll keep our energy up. Fish is a good source for protein."

I nod. "Let's get that big fat one there." I point at the large fish, which I think is Salmon, at the edge of stall.

This stall was prettily decorated, with paper fishes dangling from a thin white piece of string.

Whilst Cailean went up to the stall owner, I stood a few feet away- admiring the other stalls.

I turned around to admire behind me too, until my vision was obscured by a tall, slim man- his bony face I immediately recognised.

"You." A man snarled, spit flying in my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~