15

Sitting with his family, is definitely awkward. Some people made small talk- a woman called Morrigan and another called Amren were the most chattiest.

I felt their stares, watching my every breath and movement- Nyx hadn't warned me that they'd watch me- but I guess I should have guessed.

"So, Linnetta- that's your name isn't it?" Cassian the Bastard- I mean warrior addressed me, his hair hanging around his face like curtains. I nod with a small smile. "Does your father ever have any hobbies, or does he just sit at home all day?"

To the left of me I can see Nyx give Cassian a warning glare, which Cassian replied with a shrug. Just like his son sitting next to him, opposite me- grinning.

"My father enjoys terrorising our people, which is in some way a hobbie." I look down at my plate, stabbing my fork into the chicken.

"And you don't approve of his methods?" Asked Amren, her eyes piercing my own to try and distinguish something. She looked beautiful but petrifying.

"Of course not." I say as if it is obvious, who would agree? Unless you're the King of Hybern.

"And why would we believe that, spring? No doubt Tamlin has already tried to make you a mini him, so how come your so— different?"

How can I prove myself, when their points are very understandable?

"Let's not get too feisty, Amren- save some of it for Varian, who may or may not have eaten all your cupcakes." Rhysand told Amren, a wide smirk on his face.

Feyre just shook her head smiling- putting a finger to his mouth to silence him.

"WHAT? Is that why he didn't come down for dinner, he's already stuffed his stomach up like Father Christmas by eating my whole batch." She fumed, standing up. "I'm going on a hunt!" Amren declared standing up and walking quickly through the back archway.

"Let's hope Varian's still got his head- Amren worked very hard to make her cupcakes extra delicious. She made me try the mixture 50 times before baking it." Feyre explained. "Not that I'm complaining though." She winked, resting her head on Rhysand's shoulder.

The High Lady looked so beautiful tonight, as always, but there was something extra. I'm guessing the ruby earrings and necklace made the brown variants of her hair colour shine through.

"Sorry about the...craziness of my family." Whispered Nyx into my ear. "and the uncomfortable questions- they can't help themselves when it comes to the Spring Court."

I grimace. "I wish my relations were talked about for good reasons." I sigh.

"I'm sure in time they will be, especially you." He compliments, his breath tickling my ear.

"What are you two whispering about?" Cailean asked, sitting back on his chair and folding his arms.

"Don't be so nosy, Cail."

I look to Cailean but he doesn't seem bothered by Nyx's sharp reply.

"Do you enjoy being home, Linetta?" Morrigan curiously asked next to Feyre.

"When I get to enjoy my time outside or doing something I love- then it's very enjoyable." Everyone has finished their food except me, picking at the last pieces of carrot and potatoes.

"But?" Morrigan pressed- why do they keep asking me?

"But my father ruins a lot of the days with anger and old grudges." I look down at my plate- not wanting to meet everyone's eyes.

When there was no reply I looked up to see Morrigan staring at Rhysand, as if communicating somehow.

"Can you not do this at the table, especially when there's a guest?" Nyx kindly remarks.

They give their apologies, and then again when standing up to retire from the table.

I watched them go- all gathered together, a tight unit. Cassian dismissed himself- walking briskly out of the back door.

"They'll come around, I promise Linetta, I promise." Nyx reassured me, but somehow I was finding that hard to believe.