23

Nyx and Aspen are still at a staring match, until Nyx can't take it any longer and snaps.

"Your father allows my family to visit as you well know, Aspen." Nyx challenges.

"I'm going to rule this court one day Nyx, and trust me- that'll change."

Nyx snorts.

"It's you, the beautiful girl I met at the ball." I slowly move my eyes to Aspen's, which are staring directly at me.

"Hello." I smile slightly, feeling awkward in Nyx's arms.

"Don't worry, these bears won't hurt you- not while I'm commanding." He reassured me, smiling back.

"I wouldn't let them touch her anyway, Aspen, so there's no need for your assistance." Nyx snapped, which made me look up at him with confusion.

"Just lay off the guard dog appearance, Nyx, it doesn't impress anybody." Aspen chided, stroking one of his polar bears.

His hair is still a frosty colour, cropped short. From where I could see- his skin was creamy and pale, not tanned like Nyx's.

"I like it." I say without even thinking, which made my face heat up.

I could see Nyx looking down at me, as I met his gaze I could see he was grinning like I had just given him the greatest present in the world.

Aspen groaned, rolling his eyes. He then continued, ignoring my comment. "Could you ask your guard dog to put you down here so I may give you a tour of my own Court? Seems stupid that a Night Court boy is wanting to give a tour instead of a winter one."

"Aspen, don't push it." Nyx threatened, holding me tighter.

"Your in my lands- so I can command what I like, do what I like- and right now I want to talk to miss spring who by the way is trapped within your arms."

To try and stop a disaster just bubbling to the surface- I suggest: "It's okay Nyx, Aspen can give me a quick tour and I'll be right back to you." I stare at him intently- making sure he reads my expression. I whisper. "Just this once, to quieten him."

Nyx huffs, and gives a solemn look, but doesn't try to do anything else. "Quick, just like you said, yes?" He asks whilst flying me down to the snowy ground.

I nod. "I promise."

He stands me up carefully, making sure I don't trip or slip.

I smile at him, and touch his cheek for a second- before walking towards Aspen. His face smug and happy.

I walk up near his polar bear, which was staring me down like some prey. I grinned, letting the beast show ever so slightly.

I look behind me as Nyx spoke again. "I'll give you one warning, a heads up as such, you do anything and I mean anything to touch or hurt her I'll know about it, and when I do.. your a dead man." Nyx threatened.

Aspen chuckled. "Whatever."

Aspen seemed to take it as a jest, not threatened at all but when I looked at Nyx's face I knew....he was far from jesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I followed the winter boy into a snowy evergreen forest, pine cones that had dropped peeped out of the depthless snow.

Now that Nyx has gone, I could feel the cold nipping at me again. Aspen didn't seem to notice- and continued to lead me without saying anything.

Is this how it's going to be? No talking?

If so, that's fine by me.

"So, Linetta of Spring, do you like winter so far?"

So much for the tranquility. "The beauty of it yes, but the cold is definitely something to get used to."

"Would you like me to warm you up?" He stopped and turned around, smiling widely.

"Um...no, I'm fine thank you." I nervously reply, hugging myself- attempting to smile.

Aspen snorted. "I'll ask my maids to sort more...suitable clothing for you when we get to my Palace."

He stared at the Night Court garments that Nyx had given me only a few days before with distaste and then proceeded to turn around and carry on leading me through the endless trees.

When Nyx had took me off to explore, I felt the bubble of excitement- and true happiness but with Aspen...there is no excitement, no happiness- just dread. Dread for what he may do next.