28

I relished the cold breeze sweeping past my face, my fur blown backwards so my vision isn't obscured- helping me to see the prey in front of me.

To be precise- Nyx.

I have to admit, Nyx is fast- after discussing our 'rules' he was off in a blimp, not wasting a second.

At least I know he cannot winnow, which was one of our most important rules.
He wanted to use his wings too, and I of course disagreed. My beast can't fly, so how am I supposed to catch him?

He agreed with a grumbling "Fine."

I have until the sun sets to capture him, and looking at the sky now- orange is already nearly starting to coat it's blue canvas.

My claws dig into the earth to slow my movements whenever I catch his scent again, turning left and right multiple times.

Is he tricking me?

For the past half an hour or so I have been tracing multiple scents that he must have left to confuse me.

I shake my big furry head, making a 'wolfy grin'- he can't put me off that easily.

I pick up one of his scents that's the strongest, and follow it. Turning right through the autumn woods.

Somehow I could feel him laughing at me, I really do think we have a bond of some kind.

I could see him, running like a madman in front of me. I can't properly laugh in this form, but if I was in my normal form- I would be in hysterics.

I push myself further forwards, my claws digging into the soft earth to push me faster.

He's getting sluggish now, he's using some of his power to push himself faster, but he's already starting to slow by using it too much.

He flings left around a tree, trying to put me off course- I roll my eyes following him without any trouble.

He doesn't look back- which is pretty smart of him- but I would've loved to see his surprised face as I catch up right behind him ready to pounce.

I jump on him, clutching with my claws as I land on him- pinning him down to the autumn leaves and earth.

He panted staring up at me, when his eyes met mine he made a lazy grin.

"So maybe I spoke too soon." He admitted.

I shift back to my normal form, my golden hair dangling over his face.

"Mm, you certainly did."

We stare at each other for a few seconds, my body still pinning him down.

My cheeks heat and I slide off him, standing up- brushing the dirt from my hiking clothes.

He looked slightly...disheartened, laying there like a wounded animal- noticing my analysing stare he suddenly smiled, standing up too.

"Are you okay?" I ask, looking at him.

"Of course, I don't get upset over silly things like this."

He brushes off his shirt and trousers. "Let's camp here tonight." He adds.

I frown, I know he knows what I was really asking about.

I want to ask him, ask him what these kinds of reactions are- if they mean anything.

I sigh, laying my blanket upon the ground.

I wish I'd pinned him longer- maybe then I would've gotten the answers I long to have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~