Chapter Twenty-Three

SIX YEARS LATER

"Hey babe, guess what I got for you."

"Pharrell I....."

"I know, I know you will love it. It's very pretty."

"Pharrell!"

"I bought one for you and our baby. Just come and look at it."

"Pharrell! Will you listen?! There is no baby. I lost it." His wife cried out, succumbing to the ground. She was weak and helpless, with no strength to hold onto. Pharrell stood frozen. He was lost of words and didn't know what to think or how to react.

"W-what do you mean there is no baby?" His voice was but a whisper.

"We lost it. It is dead!"

"D-ont give me that. You must be joking. Tell me it's a prank. Tell me it is." He yelled, moving further away from Carmine.

"I wish, I wish it was." From her reaction, he knew that she was serious. His wife is not one who cries nor shows emotions, so being this broken meant she was damn serious.

"This is all your fault. You are so stubborn. I told you not to be chewing gum and eating more meat but you didn't listen. Now see what that has caused!"

Her head snapped up to look at her husband. She couldn't believe he was ridiculously pushing the blames on her.

"I want you to go back to the hospital and get back the baby at any cost or I will get a divorce." He said and stormed out of their house leaving a broken Carmine on the floor.

In moments like this he just wished  he had chosen Liana and taken responsibility for the baby. But like the saying goes ' had I known is always at last and the language of fools'. He and Carmine had been trying to conceive for four years. He is not interested in babies and that would have been the last thing on his mind if not that he needed one. His company is on the verge of bankruptcy and the only one that can help is his father-in-law, Mr. Gonzalez but he has his own conditions. And that was for them to have a child. Carla Gonzalez, Carmine's adopted sister died a year ago in a plane crush making Carmine the only heiress to his wealth.
Since he never had the opportunity to have his own kids, he made his mind that he will will his assets to someone who has a child. That way they will train and educate their kids so they can keep his companies running.

So when his daughter asked for his help, he made his condition known to her. It's either they have a kid or he will give all his assets to charity. Interestingly, she has lost the will that she managed to obtain from the lawyer.

Pharrell's POV
"What happened? What got you so angry?" Heath asked, Martina placing a shot of martini on the table before me.

"Carmine lost the baby."

I expected him to be shocked but nothing shows he was. What have I become? I have lost my baby and I am on the verge of losing everything I have worked hard for. My marriage is also on shaky grounds. I took the shot in one gulp, and requested for more. Heath was silence and was not saying anything. He just stared at me.

"What? why are you looking at me like that?"

"Do you remember that girl Liana?" Heath asked suddenly.

"No, don't remind me of that. That baby was not mine and I don't regret not accepting it."
He didn't say anything else. He rather used his ringing phone as excuse to leave me. I didn't mind, I wanted to be alone with my full bottle of martini.