Chapter One

Lia's POV

As he removed the blindfold, revealing his beautifully decorated apartment, I couldn't hold back the tears.

"Happy birthday to you, babe" he sang softly.

Overwhelmed by the gesture, I let the tears fall freely. I had never celebrated my birthday before, partly because I had nowhere to go and nothing to celebrate. It had always been just another ordinary day for me. I had nearly forgotten my own birthday until Pharrell asked me about it.

"Don't cry, my pretty queen. Here, come, I have a gift for you before we have dinner," he said, gently taking my hands and leading me to the living area of the apartment. Sitting me down, he brought out a box and handed it to me.

"Oh my God! You've got to be kidding me!" I exclaimed in disbelief.

"No, I'm not. You don't have one, so I thought it would be the perfect gift. Come on, open it," he urged me on.

I wiped away the tears that were now blurring my vision.

"Oh, it's beautiful," I breathed as I opened the box and beheld the gift inside.

"Do you like it?" he asked eagerly.

"No, I don't like it. I love it! Thank you, baby," I exclaimed, unable to contain my gratitude as I stood up and rewarded him with a heartfelt hug.

"Now, you must be hungry. I made your favorite," he said with a grin.

I grinned back, feeling like I'd known him for much longer than just two months. He seemed to understand me better than anyone else ever had. I couldn't imagine my life without him, and I wished I could wake up to him every day. If this is what love feels like, then I'm completely and utterly in love with this guy. But of course, he doesn't know.

I followed him to the kitchen to help set the table, but he refused, insisting that it was my day and that I should relax and enjoy myself.

How did I miss noticing him the first time I saw him talking to Franca? Oh right, I completely ignored him. But now, I wish I hadn't. Thank heavens he noticed someone as insignificant as me and came to look for me at the cafeteria. I wondered who even told him I work there. I liked him from the first day he approached me. In a way, I approached him because I had gone to clean his messy table when he invited me to sit with him and left a huge tip for me. But I didn't make it easy for him at all. Mandy taught me that if you easily accept a guy, he'll treat you like trash, just use you and dump you. So I made him go through my version of hell. And after the care he showed me today, I'm totally sure that he loves me just as much as I love him. And what Franca said about him only wanting to sleep with me was false.

From where I sat, I watched him move around the kitchen, preparing dinner. Feeling the need to show him my appreciation, I stood up and walked over to him. With his back turned to me, I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his back. He froze for a moment, then relaxed into my embrace.

"I never knew I could feel this way about anyone. I never even knew a feeling like this existed," I whispered softly. "No one has ever shown me this much care and love. No one has ever cooked with me in mind. Yet today, on a day I've never celebrated, you did all of this for me. Thank you, baby."

He turned to face me, locking my arms around him once again.

"No, dear, no crying today," he murmured soothingly, kissing away my teary eyes before capturing my lips with his own. His taste was unlike anything I had experienced before, a mixture of mints and chocolate that instantly left me craving more. In an instant, the kiss became heated, our breaths mingling as we struggled to keep up.