Chapter Fifty-Five

I spent my evening walking back and forth, walking from one unit of the hospital to the other getting things that the old man will need including new sets of medication. Earlier when I got here, I met Simona who looked tired, hungry, and worried. Dried tears had marked her face and in as much as she is tired, was pacing up and down. She relaxed when she saw me and the huge sigh that she released was refreshing.

"Ms. Liana, thank heavens you are here. Mr. Gonzalez is in there!"She pointed to the door she was standing by.

"Is he alright? What happened to him?"

"I don't know. When we came here they took him straight to that room and I was asked to stand here."

I tried getting some information from the nurses but it seemed they had no idea what was going on so I had no choice but to wait with her. An hour passed without us hearing anything. Within that hour, Alex arrived. Fortunately, he knows someone here so he went away to ask what was going on. He came back to tell us that they had to do some emergency surgery on the old man and that they are still at it. After an hour and a half of waiting, the door to that room opened and we raced there.

"Hello, are you the family of Mr. Gonzalez?" A tall dark young doctor asked.

"Yes I am his daughter and that is his doctor." I lied. I did not completely lie though. He has taken me as his daughter and has asked me to call him dad.

"Okay, sorry to keep you waiting. We had no time to waste when he was brought in. We realized he had taken in a couple of wrong medications and that was rapidly shutting him down. This medication affected his liver, nearly damaging his kidney so we had to perform emergency surgery on him to try and save his life."

"Thank you, doctor, so how is he?"

"We don't know as of now. We tried to make him stable but he has slipped into a coma."

"Oh no! No!" Simona sobbed, diverting our attention to her.

"We believe he will come around between now and next month. Let's hope for the best. By the way, do you have any idea how these dangerous medicines got to him?" He mentioned a long name of a medicine I had never heard of before.

"No, I do not live with him. This is his nurse."

" I realized it when I checked up on him a few days ago that his drugs have been switched so I changed his medication but I failed to check up how much was in his system," Alex added

"Hmm, the one who gave him the drugs did so with the intention of killing him."

"Simona, were you the one who gave him the medicine?" I asked. All our eyes were on her now, waiting for her answer.

"I didn't give him any dangerous medicine. I only gave him his medicines in the bottle. The one that was prescribed by his other doctor."

"Which doctor is that?"

"I don't know him. Mrs. Smith only refers to him as Dr. Prier Jean. She was the one who brought him. First, it was Dr. Madison but i don't know why Mrs. Smith changed her." 

"Yes! Why didn't I think of it?" I exclaimed, now all pairs of eyes were on me.

"Carmine, she did this. She wants him dead."

"No, ma'am Carmine won't do that she is very worried about her father."

"Then why isn't she here when he is fighting for his life?"

"I forgot to call her."

"We will surely find out who did this to him. If it's not Carmine, then it's you. We can not trust anyone. Doctor, can I see him now?"