Chapter Forty-Two

Julio's POV (15 HOURS AGO)

"Sir, this is the finest we have here. With this your girlfriend won't ever reject your proposal." I couldn't take my eyes off the ring. Indeed it was what caught my eyes so Oliver was not wrong when he said it's their finest. I wanted something that reflects Gladys' personality and this ring does just that. It was a silver ring with a not too big diamond at the center. It doesn't look extra ordinary but the way that diamond sparkled made it magical.

"Okay Oliver, I will have it."

"Good sir, you have made the right choice." He giggled with happiness. Why wouldn't he be happy? I could tell he has made his biggest sale for today. I handed my card to him for payment and he returned it after he has confirmed payment. He then handed me the ring is a small velvet box.

"Nice doing business with you Mr. De Leon."

"Thank you. Have a nice day." I checked the time and rushed out of the jewelry shop to my ride. My flight is in less that an hour and I had other gifts I needed to pick up for her.

Damn Julio, this girl got you hooked. I smiled mentally, thinking of how far I have come with Gladys. She is a good woman who never cared about my money. When I met her for the first time, I thought she was beautiful but my mind told me, if you approach her, she will only like you because you are rich. She was then working at a cafeteria of a company I had a meeting at. I got myself a pair of worn out shoes, a faded black T-shirt and and a cheap jeans, returned the following day and begged her for a meal which she selflessly gave me. I could tell she had little but she was able to share. What surprised me was her gentleness and the respect she showed me. And oh her smile could outshine the sun. Her face was not only a replica of an angel's, her soul too was. I watched her go about her duties of cleaning tables and attending to customers. I quite remember over-hearing her colleague asking her whether I can afford my meal looking at how shabby I was. Her response will forever be marked in my memories.

"Erm Cynthia, the guy is not having anything and i can not watch him go away hungry."

"So what, if this place was for the homeless will any of the food be left and will we make profits?" The lady eyed me from where they stood, she made no attempt to hide the fact that she was talking about me.

"No need to be rude Cynthia besides I am paying for it so it's not free. If there is any complaints I should be making them and not you. Please excuse me." She walked out on her. This made the lady scoff and left also.

I pretended I didn't hear anything and focused on my meal. I went back there everyday in the same clothes and every time, she gave me food. She even invited me to her place to eat dinner and that was where I knew she was genuine and a good person. Along the way, I showed her who I really was. She was shocked yet happy for me. Not to make her uncomfortable, I decided to dress like an average guy around her. We have been through a lot. From my daughter's battle with cancer and my divorce. I nearly lost her when I decided to stay with Amanda for the sake of Mia. Thinking about the heartache I made her go through hurts me and I am on a mission to make her smile. I can not wait any longer to make her my wife. I checked with my assistant to make sure my other gift was ready. It was a red dress I picked out for her. I don't really have her exact measurement and I only pray it fits her.

"Okay, meet me at the airport with it." I concluded my call with my assistant simultaneously arriving at the airport.

On my flight back to Spain, I couldn't think of anything else apart from her. She was all that occupied my mind. It has been awhile I spoke with her and I was excited to have her in my arms again.

*********************************

"Gone? Gone Where?" He asked still in the dark about what Liana was trying to say.