Chapter Twelve

With half an earphone hanging out my ear, I hummed along to some random ballad playing out through my phone. 

I am not sure why but listening to super emotional songs seemed to help lift my spirits. And right now, I needed a whole load of lifting. 

 I was currently in a stage of life where I was teetering around the edge of rock bottom. Not only had I lost my job, but I had thrown all my morals out the window by attempting to seduce an irritating jackass who did not feel a slither of positive emotion towards me. 

Well, whatever, screw him! I would get him to befriend me and fall for me before the Christmas holidays swung around.

A small smile drew to my face as I spotted the bright LED sign of our local pizza place from across the street. It was the precise reason why I had hiked up the high street. It probably wasn't the best idea to be getting take-out for the third time this week, but it was fine, I worked out a lot.

Quickly, I headed over to the nearest crossing and I was about to cross when my brows raised slightly in surprise as they locked on to a familiar figure – a figure which just so happened to belong to Nathan Woods.

 He was mid-way through crossing the road and was accompanied by an elegant-looking brunette with a beautiful black mini dress on.

From their over excessively put together outfits, I assumed they were on their way to a fancy dinner. I smirked.

Well, let's see if I can have some fun with this...

As they drew closer, I cupped a hand over my mouth. "Hey Natalie, over here," I called out.

 Nathan stilled at the sound of my voice. And with a horror movie-type slowness, he slowly turned his head in my direction. 

The moment our eyes met, his gaze narrowed, and his lips pressed so tightly together that I was afraid they might bleed. It left me with no doubt that he definitely was not pleased to see me.

The girl noticing his distraction soon followed his gaze over to me and looked me up and down with questioning eyes.

The moment they got to my side of the road, he immediately tried to scurry past me to avoid me. Easily anticipating his move, I took a quick step to the right to block his way.

He immediately stopped in front of me and made a grand show of rolling his eyes. "Oh, for fucks sake, do I ever get a break from you?" he snapped.

 "Nope," I chirped.

 He responded by looking me up and down with disgust. 

Interrupting Nathan and I's heated exchange, the brunette girl gave me a friendly smile. "Are you guys close friends or something?" she asked, her gaze moving back and forth between us curiously.

I smiled. "Ye-"

"No, we're not. I hate her," Nathan interrupted before I could finish.

 A frown immediately fell upon her face. "Why are you being so rude to her?" she asked.

Nathan looked at a loss for words and started spluttering his mouth open and closed like an idiot. The fool was probably panicking because he was scared of losing out on his latest bed buddy. 

"Yeah, Nathan, why are you being so rude to me?" I probed. "I was only trying to say hello to my friend," I mumbled as I blinked back at him with wide and innocent eyes. 

Nathan's gaze narrowed into slits, clearly seeing straight through my act. 

Wanting to add even more fuel to the fire, I turned my attention back to the brunette with a troublesome little smile on my face. "So, are you Nathan's new girlfriend?" I asked, putting an uncomfortable amount of emphasis on the last two words.