Chapter Fifty-One

My body completely froze as the words left Nathan's mouth. 

I knew where this conversation was heading. I'd known where his mind has been heading for a while, but I was too scared to admit it to myself. He felt something for me, and worst of all, I felt something back. 

Who was I kidding? I felt a whole fucking lot back.

His eyes continued scanning softly over my features, the light in them drawing me closer. "You know, I've been thinking about what that fortune teller said to me. I thought she was crazy at first," he said, letting out a breath of a chuckle. "But she wasn't, she was right. I have been scared of something; terrified even," he murmured as his eyes flickered back and forth between mine. 

His words caused me to let out a shallow breath, then suddenly, I realized how close we were. Everything about him was close to me, his eyes, his hands, his lips. And shamefully, a burn ran up and down my thigh, from the point where my knee was brushed up against him.

I almost felt the air thicken as he opened his mouth to speak once more. "I knew it then, and I know it more than now, that she was talking about you. My feelings for you are what scare me," he whispered.

I willed myself to look away from him, but I couldn't. It was like I was trapped under a spell. Nathan slowly, and cautiously leaned forward. Inch by inch, the gap between us grew smaller until I could feel his warm breath brush loosely against my lips. His eyes dropped from my eyes to my lips with a deep level of desperation burning within them.

My breath hitched as I felt his hand grip my lower back and cage me to him. It prevented an escape in which I wasn't sure I even wanted. 

His eyes slowly returned to mine, and he swallowed. "But I'm so fucking done being scared," he whispered. 

Once again, his eyes fell down to my lips and before, I could take so much as another breath, Nathan drove himself forward and captured my lips with his.

The second he made contact, I felt like I forgot how to breathe. He was kissing me. Nathan Woods, the guy who seemed to consume my every waking thought, was finally kissing me. His hands around my waist, our bodies pressed together, this was really happening...

Slowly, and softly he moved his lips against mine, and it felt like it was conveying a million emotions at once. Want, need, desperation, and most of all desire. My mind went dizzy as the electrifying feeling of his lips sourced all throughout my body. Not being able to hold myself back any longer, I leaned into him and let our lips move together.

All the clouding words of doubt drifted away. I didn't care why this was wrong. I didn't care that I was supposed to be saying goodbye. The only thing I cared about was this and how rejuvenating it felt.

With the last of my restraint gone, I met his lips back with equal passion and slid my arms up his back before letting them rest around his neck. Nathan let out a deep guttural sound in the base of his throat and tugged my waist even closer.

 A whole new kind of desperation awoke within him, and his hands journeyed up and down my torso, ruffling up the material of my shawl. I could feel our chests rising and falling rapidly against one another as though we were two crazed people starved of each other's touch.

With desperate, lust-driven hands, Nathan's hands drifted feverishly from my waist down to the curve of my hips before hooking two strong hands underneath the bottom of my thighs.

All while still kissing me, Nathan lifted me up and dragged me onto his lap. A shaky breath escaped me as I realized I was now straddling him, with the daring heat of his body right underneath me.