Chapter Forty-Seven

"Hey, take it easy, Sophie, you don't want to slip," Nathan scolded as he placed a guiding hand to my back.

We were both ascending the stairs, but Nathan couldn't seem to take his hands off of me for the life of him. I rolled my eyes and suppressed the urge to turn around and strangle him.

Ever since we had left the hospital, Nathan had taken his protectiveness to worrying extremes. Throughout our whole journey home, he kept stealing worried glances at me while simultaneously moaning at his dad to drive slower because he wanted to keep 'my blood pressure low.'

If anyone were to overhear him, they would assume I was a poor defenceless one-hundred-year-old lady lying on their death bed.

"Nathan, you don't have to hold me as I climb the stairs. I've been climbing them myself for an awfully long time, now," I drawled sarcastically.

"Well, this is your first time climbing the stairs after getting out of a fucking coma, isn't it?" he grumbled as we reached the top of the stairs.

I let out a heavy sigh, knowing it was useless to argue with him. Pulling myself away from him, I made my way through the upstairs landing, and into my guest room, desperate to get a good night's sleep after all the stress of today. As suspected, I heard Nathan trail into the room after me.

I turned around and cocked up a half-amused eyebrow. "Have you come to help me get dressed, or can I be trusted to do that myself?" I teased.

Nathan nodded his head almost immediately. "Yeah, of course, I'll help," he said quickly as he took a step forward.

I blinked back at him in shock, realizing he had missed the joke altogether. I bit back a smile. "Nathan, I was only joking," I mumbled awkwardly.

Nathan stared at me blankly for a couple of seconds, and then he froze, finally realizing his error. Her eyes averted to the floor rapidly. "Oh, right," Nathan said stupidly as he shifted from foot to foot.

I shook my head with a snort and made my way over to my closet. "I think your sleep deprivation is getting to you, Natalie," I chuckled as I started to sift around through my clothes. Once I had everything I needed for my shower, I made my way lazily over to the door.

I had barely made a move before Nathan took a step to the side and completely block my path.

He frowned. "Where are you going?" he asked in confusion.

"To the shower, you idiot, relax," I snickered as I tried to brush past him.

Once again, he took a step to the side and blocked me. "No, you're not," he said abruptly.

"Sorry, what?" I laughed. "You're not going to the shower," he repeated matter of factly.

I tilted my head, feeling beyond confused at this point. "I'm....er...a little bit confused Nathan, do you have a problem with me getting clean?" I said slowly.

"No, of course not," he sighed. "I just don't think you should have a shower by yourself. The floor is slippery and dangerous. What happens if you fall and nobody knows, huh?" he stammered out frantically.

I threw my head back dramatically. "Nathan, you're being ridiculous; I only want to have a ten-minute shower," I cried.

He took another step closer to me, his face serious and cold. "And it can sometimes take less than ten minutes to die," he snapped.

"Okay, fine," I shrugged. "What do you suggest I do then? Have someone sit in the bathroom and watch me?" I spat out sarcastically.

He blinked once, then twice before something flashed through his eyes. "Actually, yeah, that sounds like a great idea," he said with a smile. Then before I could take back my stupid suggestion, he softly grabbed my wrist and led me out of my room.