five

Once I walked in the house, I already knew something was off. I didn't see Liam anywhere in the living room or in the kitchen. I slowly placed my phone on the counter and kept looking around.

"Liam?" I called out, looking down the hallway.

He walked into the living room, putting his hands in the pocket of his jeans. Just from the look in his eyes, I knew he was drunk and it made my fear increase. I glanced at my car keys and when I ran to grab them, his hand was already on my arm, roughly pulling me closer to him.

The smell of alcohol on his breath hit my nose and I turned my head before he gripped my jaw, forcing me to look at him.

"Out with that little friend of yours again, huh?" Liam asked, tightening his grip.

"He needed help with something, Liam," I mumbled, attempting to pull away.

"I don't give a fuck what he wanted. If I tell your ass to get home, then get home!"

I flinched when he raised his voice before shoving me to the ground and sending a kick to my stomach. A sharp gasp broke out of me as my arms went to cover my stomach.

"See what the hell you make me do, Scarlett?" Liam snapped, kicking me again.

"I-I'm sorry," I stammered out, glancing up at him.

"You're gonna be," he mumbled, before swinging his foot towards me again.

I woke up with deep gasp and sweat trickling down my forehead. Frantically looking around, I grabbed the blanket, holding it tightly and closing my eyes, trying to calm my breathing.

My body fell back against the pillows and I stared up against the ceiling with watery eyes.

Can't even get away from him in my damn dreams.

When I grabbed my phone to check the time, it was four in the morning. A low groan rumbled in my throat before turned back on my side. I let my eyes shut close and a deep sigh left my lips before I fell into a slumber.

***

"Go out with me today."

I patted my chest, letting out a fist of coughs before looking back at Carter.

"Repeat that," I rasped, drinking some of my water.

"Go out with me today," he repeated, stealing one of my grapes.

"Carter..." I started, shaking my head.

"I know you're in a relationship or whatever. Just think of it as a friendly outing."

He looked at me with a grin while tossing another grape in his mouth. I groaned quietly, eating a few grapes before looking back at him again.

"Alright, fine. Where are you gonna take me anyway?" I asked, finishing my water.

"All over. I'm gonna make sure you have a good day, even if it kills me," he chuckled.

I smiled to myself, shaking my head before putting my cup in the sink and handing him the grapes. Jason was fast asleep and Lola had work to do, so it was just me and Carter. I really enjoyed his company, so I really couldn't complain.

"You didn't eat today, did you?" Carter asked.

"Only these grapes," I replied.

"Then that's what we'll do first. Go get dressed and I'll wait here."

"You really don't have to-"

"Shut up, I want to. Now go."

I sighed then went to my room and began digging in my drawer for clothes. There's no telling what we were doing so I just threw on a pair of jean shorts and a red tee shirt, along with a pair of tennis shoes.