thirty-three

SCARLETT

I ran my hands down my face, my eyes closed while water ran down from the top of my head. A deep sigh left my lips while I scrubbed my body down with the loofa. The bruise on my torso is healing... slowly, but it's healing. I can actually chew without being in pain, but I still ice it every now and then.

Jason's been working extra shifts to pay rent, and I feel bad. But Carter won't let me work until I'm fully healed and rested up. As much as I'm telling him that I'm alright, he won't budge.

I leaned down and twisted the knobs, turning off the shower. I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around my body before stepping out and walking back into my room. After closing the door behind me, I went to my dresser and took out a bra, along with a pair of underwear.

I dropped my towel and slipped them on then clasped on my bra. I then grabbed a tee shirt, pulling it over my head, to then pull on a pair of shorts. I made my way to the kitchen, throwing my clothes in the laundry room during the trip. Jason was already there, munching on cereal and texting on his phone.

He looked up at me with a small smile.

"Hey, how you feeling?" He asked, putting his on the counter.

"Definitely better," I replied. "What kind of cereal?"

"Fruity pebbles. Want a bowl?"

I nodded my head and grabbed the cereal box from the fridge as he slid the bowl my way. He grabbed the milk while I poured it into my bowl, and once I saved the box he began pouring the milk inside. I grabbed a spoon and sat on the stool, taking a large spoonful into my mouth.

"Heard from Carter?"

"He was gone once I fell asleep, but he did text me. Work stuff and all that jazz," I mumbled with a mouth full.

"He must take his work seriously with how much he works," Jason said, wiping his mouth.

"Wouldn't you?" I chuckled.

"With how much money he has? Hell yeah."

I shook my head and took another spoonful. My phone began to rang and I clicked on it with my finger then put it on speaker.

"Scarlett! You're awake!" Lola yelled from over the phone.

"And you're energetic," I chuckled. "What're you so energized for?"

"Had a good nights rest, that's all. I highly doubt your busy, so I'm gonna come and bug you. Can't stay long, though," she said.

"How come?" I asked, drinking the milk from the bowl.

"Carter needs me at work in a few, so I'll just hang out with you until then," Lola yawned, followed by the sound of car keys jingling.

"I'm alright with that. Jason's probably just going to annoy me to death the whole time."

"Oh fuck you," he blurted, nudging my arm.

Lola chuckled from over the phone then muttered "shit" when there was a thud sound.

"Did you fall or drop your phone?" I asked, holding back a laugh.