thirty-two

CARTER

Well, my day couldn't get any worse, now could it? I go to work, dealing with assholes and now I find out my girlfriend was fucking assaulted at the job.

Lola called me, screaming over the phone, telling me to get my ass to Scarlett's place. Jason interrupted, explaining it in a way that I could understand. When Lola found her, she was unconscious next to her car, and she of course called for Jason and then they took her home.

Scarlett still has yet to wake up, so we have no clue who the hell did it. For their sake, they better hope I don't find out.

I stepped out of the car, shutting the door before going to the front door. Frantically, I banged on the door, my leg bouncing as I waited. Lola opened the door, then pulled me inside, shutting the door behind us.

"Where is she?" I asked, tossing my keys on the counter.

"She's in her room, but you're not going in there yet."

"And why the hell now?"

"Because you going in there pissed isn't going to help the situation. It's just going to get her worked up," she explained. "Calm your ass down first."

"I can't, Lola. Am I the only one worried about her, right now?" I snapped, running my hands through my hair.

"Don't pull that bullshit with me, Carter. Clearly we're all worried about Scarlett, or we wouldn't have called you. Don't start acting like a dick," she snapped.

"I'm not acting like a dick. I'm pissed off and worried, alright?"

"We all are. But Carter Hansen, so help me, if you don't calm down, I will not hesitate to shoot you."

I scoffed, looking away and taking a deep breath. When I looked back at her, she raised an eyebrow while having her arms crossed.

"For gods sake, I'm calm. Can I just go talk to her, please?" I asked, sighing.

She hummed quietly before turning around and walking down the hall. I followed her, breathing out slowly then stopping when she held out her hand. Lola peeked into the room then urged me in with her hand, opening the door wider.

I slowly stepped inside, looking at Scarlett and I felt my chest tighten. She laid on her side with an ice pack on her jaw with her blanket up to her shoulder. It rose with every deep breath she took, her legs shifting position every time.

"Just from what you seen... does she have any bruises or anything?" I asked Lola.

"Just her jaw and stomach. Scratch across her cheek, but not bad enough to scar. Besides that, she'll probably just be sore," she sighed. "I-Im worried, Carter."

"Yeah, I am too," I sighed, running a hand down my face.

We stood silent when Scarlett started to stir in her sleep. She winced slightly, pulling the blanket down with her foot then moving her hand to stomach.

"I'll leave you in here for when she wakes up. Try not to get mad, please."

I nodded my head and she walked out, closing the door behind her. I went to the bed, sitting beside Scarlett, gently rubbing her back. Her hand started to move back, feeling around before it reached my hand. She squeezed it tightly, humming.