thirty-six

"Scarlett, baby, you have to breathe."

That's the thing. I couldn't. I haven't heard that voice in yours and now he just talked to me over the phone. After that last sentence, I dropped my phone and collapsed to the floor.

"Guess who's coming back home?"

It's ringing through my ears and it just keeps repeating itself. Over and over and over again. It won't fucking stop.

"Get her some fucking water," Carter snapped, cupping my cheeks and bringing my head up.

I honestly couldn't think straight. I felt the tears falling, my heart pounding, and my my body shaking. But my mind was full of flashbacks of all the things he's done to me. Every argument, every beating, it was just all
coming back at once.

"Red, baby. I need you to calm down your breathing, okay? If you don't, you could pass out, and I don't want that to happen, okay?"

When my eyes began to focus, I slowly nodded my head, sniffling quietly before I let out a choked sob. He pulled me onto his lap, keeping his arms around me tightly. I gripped his arm tightly as I continued sobbing into his shoulder, choking on my tears.

Carter kissed the top of my head and moved my head to his chest and cupped my cheek. My hand went to the back of his neck, cupping it slightly. I could no longer cry, but breathing was still difficult. It felt like if I didn't breathe, I'd die right that second. But if I didn't calm my breathing, I'd hyperventilate.

"It's okay, I'm right here. We're all right here," he whispered in my ear, kissing my temple.

Lola sat beside me, holding my hand tightly and rubbing small circles on the top of my hand. Jason was on the other side, rubbing my shoulders, while Carter was rubbing my back.

I took a deep breath, pointing at the glass of water. Jason quickly handed it to me, and I took quick sips, a few droplets leaking down my chin. Once the glass was empty, I placed it down and leaned back against Carter, coughing slightly.

"Better?"

"Y-Yeah," I mumbled, sniffling.

Jason took the glass then stood up, walking out of the room while Lola moved closer.

"Who was that on the phone, Scar?" She asked.

"It was... Liam," I whispered, not fully believing it myself.

"That isn't possible. He's in jail, right? I thought-"

"I thought so too. Until I heard his voice over the phone. H-He said... he's coming back home."

Lola glanced at Carter and I knew he was upset from the way his grip on my arm tightened. I glanced back at him, and his jaw clenched but he was also staring forward. Thinking, I believe.

I brought my hand up to his cheek, cupping it gently. He brought his eyes to me, and they immediately softened as he leaned more into my hand.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to scare you," I said, rubbing his cheekbone with my thumb.

"You're okay, so that's all that matters," he said, pecking my lips.

I blew out a shaky breath, my eyes going back to Lola. She looked... scared.

"Lola, what's-"

"I don't want that to happen again," she whispered, holding my hand tighter. "I-I don't want you being in that position again, Scar. I can't-"

"Lola, Lola, hey. Nothing is going to happen, s-so, don't get all worried on me. We'll figure something out."

She nodded her head, breathing out slowly. "I'll call Natalie."

She stood up, squeezing my hand before letting it go and walking out of the room. Carter turned me around, keeping his hands on my waist.

"Be honest with me... are you scared?" He asked, looking me in my eyes.

"Terrified," I admitted.

"Which is understandable. Scarlett, I will never let him even get near you. I'd kill him before letting touch a hair on you. You hear me?"

I nodded, holding his arms tightly.

He placed a kiss on my forehead then pressed his against mine, cupping the back of my neck. I brought my arms around his neck, inhaling deeply before looking at him.

"I love you," I whispered, smiling softly.

"I love you more."

"No, I do."

"Do you really want to have this argument now?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Fine... later on then," I said, chuckling.

"Scarlett! Natalie's on her way!" Lola yelled.

"That food you wanted is still hot, if you're still hungry."

I smiled with a nod then stood up. He followed me out of the room and to the kitchen. Once I got there, I piled my plate then grabbed a fork, sitting at the counter and grabbing a forkful before stuffing my mouth.

Carter fixed me a glass of soda then handed it to me while kissing the top of my head. Lola fixed herself a plate as well, sitting across from me.

"Hey, would you want to come to work with me tomorrow?" Carter asked, sitting beside me.

"Don't you have meetings and stuff?" I asked, looking at him.

"It's mainly me sitting in my office throughout the day anyways. I don't mind having some company," he said, smiling.

"I'll come on one condition," I said.

"Which is?"

"I get donuts."

He chuckled, "Deal."

Lola stood up once someone started to knock on the door. She went to the door and yanked it open, letting Natalie stroll inside. Natalie placed her phone in her pocket then walked over to me, sighing.

"The asshole is out? Since when?" She asked.

"I'm guessing today, since... he called," I replied, looking at her.

"How're you feeling?" She asked, sitting on the other side of me.

"Scared, confused, nervous," I chuckled half heartedly, shaking my head. "Overall, just terrified."

"I'm sorry, Scarlett. I thought we got rid of his ass for good," she sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"It's not your fault. We should've known they wouldn't have kept him locked up for good," I said.

"They should've! He's a fucking woman abuser and they have the nerve to let the asshole out of jail. I should've killed him when I had the fucking chance," she said, groaning.

I'm not nowhere near surprised that Natalie is pissed. Natalie is the one who got rid of him the first time, and now he's back again. She's always had that mindset where if she didn't get the job done, she didn't feel satisfied.

"Natalie, it's none of our faults. We just... have to make sure he stays away for good this time. Can't risk anything else," I sighed, eating another forkful.

"We'll find him and get rid of him, okay? Where's your phone?"

I took it out of my pocket and unlocked it before handing it to her. She leaned back against the counter, scrolling and tapping on the screen. With another tap, she groaned loudly, shutting the phone off.

"He must've had a burner phone. Can't even block the damn number," she sighed, running her hands down her face.

"We'll figure this out," Carter spoke up, tracing circles in my thigh.

"No matter what. We can't let him get an advantage," Lola added.

"And we won't," Natalie stated. "For now, stick to your daily routines. He isn't that stupid to come out in broad daylight."

I nodded my head, breathing out slowly.

I wish this was just a nightmare. Now would be the time to wake up.