thirty

I grabbed the last dish, putting in the dishwater and beginning to scrub it down. Mama was beside me, drying them saving the dishes into the cabinets. Carter and pops were still talking, and Ava was sitting on the counter behind us, aggravating the hell out of me.

"Now ignoring Ava... so, what do you think?" I asked mama, looking her way.

"About lover boy?" She said, grinning.

I blushed slightly, nodding my head.

"He's a good man. And I'm not just saying it, just to say it. You smile just from looking at him and I can see how much you two enjoy each other's company," she added, smiling.

"You love him?" Ava blurted, swinging her legs.

"Ava!" Mama yelled, splashing water at her.

"I-I don't know. I mean... is it too soon to think about that?"

"It's not a thought, Scarlett. It's a feeling, a very overwhelming one but a good one as well. You'll know if you love him, sweetheart."

I nodded my head slowly, handing her the plate. Ava came to my side, resting her head on my arm.

"I wouldn't be mad if he was my brother-in-law," she whispered, smiling.

"I'm guessing you liked him too?" I asked, chuckling.

"Yeah. He was nice, but funny and I like how he treats you. If he ends up like the last one, I'm beating his ass myself-"

"Ava Moore!"

"Sorry! But you get my point, though. I don't w-want you leaving us again because of some guy, Scar. I missed you."

I dried off my hands then wrapped my arms around her, sighing softly. She did the same, letting out a quiet hum and gently squeezing.

"I'm sorry, Ava," I began, rubbing her back. "I was in... a really bad place then and I didn't know what else. It seemed like a good choice at the time."

"But we're your family, Scarlett. We would've understood if you needed something."

"It wasn't that simple. If it was, then I wouldn't have left home. You got to understand that I didn't leave because I wanted to, I didn't have any other choice," I explained, pulling back and looking at her.

She sighed, bringing her eyes back up to me.

"I know. No more leaving though, right?" Ava asked, pouting.

I chuckled, shaking my head.

"No. No more leaving. I'm going to visit as much as I possible can, and you're going to love it," I smiled, ruffling her hair.

She let out a whine, swatting my hands away. I pulled her in, hugging her tightly and kissing the top of her head. With a huff, she brought her arms around me and rests her head against me.

"Alright, alright. Now, get off, you're suffocating me," she said, pulling with a grin.

"Make that the last hug you get," I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Hey! That isn't fair!"

"It's very fair, actually."

Ava groaned quietly then crossed her arms.

"Fine, fine. I'm going back on my phone," she said, pulling it out then walking to the living room.

Mama dried off her hands then leaned back against the counter. I stretched my arms up, sighing then glanced down the hall when pops and Carter came into the living room. They were laughing about whatever they were talking about before their attention came to us.