forty-one

As planned, we all met at Natalie's house an hour and a half later. For some reason, Lola was the last one to arrive even though me and her left at the same time. That woman manages to make my head spin every time she does something.

Natalie kept checking the location just to make sure Scarlett's bracelet wasn't thrown in the middle of nowhere. It was in a building, but there weren't any cameras to hack into. That was our only dilemma.

I'm more than sure Liam knows there's going to be people coming for Scarlett. So, none of us have any clue what he has planned. But, everybody's willing to take risk, so we're doing it.

"Follow me," Natalie said, walking down to the basement.

Lola followed behind her and Nathan, and I followed them rest of them. She shut the light on then walked to a wall, pressing her palm on a screen then clicking a button. The metal doors began to lift up, exposing what was underneath.

"She wasn't joking when she said she has the good stuff," Lola chuckled, looking around.

As you can guess, lots of fucking guns.

We all grabbed enough that we can hold on our body instead of bringing a bag full of stuff. The only things we brought in a bag were medical supplies, just to be safe. That was going to stay in the car.

"Hey, you look tense," Nathan told me.

"Guess I'm a little stressed out and feeling kind of guilty."

"Guilty? What for?"

"I promised Red that I'd protect her and not let Liam get his hands on her. Now, there's no telling what's happening to her in there," I sighed.

"Carter, that isn't your fault. Trust me, I had the same mindset when Natalie was kidnapped."

"She was kidnapped?"

"Yes, and it was scary but we got her back. The point is, you did everything you can to keep her safe from him. Now, you need to do everything you can to get her back into your arms and back home," Nathan explained, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Don't let negative thoughts cloud your judgement."

I slowly nodded my head, taking a deep breath.

"Thanks for that. Everybody ready?"

"I am!" Lola called out, walking back to the basement door.

"We're taking my car. It'll get us there in an hour, maybe less," Natalie said, walking out.

She grabbed her car keys and we all headed out, piling into her car. Lola kept her eyes stuck out the window even before we drove off. She was as nervous as I was. Maybe more worried than anything.

"We're getting her back, Lola," I spoke up.

She glanced at me, nodding her head then leaning back against the seat.

The entire car ride there was silent. It was very tense between everybody, and everyone seemed to be on edge. In our own way, we're all close to Scarlett one way or another so this shit is crucial.

One wrong move and we could set Liam off. It's not like we can predict what'll happen to her or us when we get there. Happy thoughts though, right?

"Oh my god..." Natalie whispered when she pulled up in front of the house.

"What is it?" I asked, quickly sitting up.

"This is Scarlett and Liam's old house," she said, looking at me. "The fucker brought her back here to mess with her."

"That's just sick," Lola mumbled, looking out of the window.

"The light are on... could be a trick," Nathan said, looking at Natalie.