epilogue

A FEW YEARS LATER

"Your daddy thinks it's okay to sleep in until god knows that time," I mumbled to Carmen, feeding her a piece of nugget.

"Daddy sleep," she repeated, looking up at me.

I chuckled, nodding my head. "Yes, your daddy is sleep. We'll wake him up when you're done eating."

Carmen is our first born. Our baby girl and Carter's little princess. I conceived her towards the end of Carter and I's honeymoon, since I stopped taking my birth control.

He mentioned wanting a family a lot, and every time I would say that I wasn't ready. But, the more I spent with him and thought about it, clearly I was ready eventually. Now, we have a beautiful girl who's spoiled to death.

Carmen leaned forward, taking a piece of nugget from my hand and pushing it into her mouth. I shook my head with a smile then glanced back when a knock came from the door.

"Come in," I called, wiping the corner of Carmen's mouth.

Jason walked inside with a wide smile then shut the door behind him.

"There's my favorite niece," Jason gleamed, picking Carmen up from her chair.

"Jason!" She blurted, placing her hands on his cheeks.

"She's your only niece," I chuckled, cleaning up the mess.

"Shh," he responded, kissing Carmen's cheek. "Where's Carter?"

"Still asleep. I'm about to wake him up."

"It isn't that late, let the man sleep," Jason said.

"Shut up. It's almost one," I told him, throwing the wet rag at him then walking upstairs to my bedroom.

I pushed the door open then walked inside, quietly closing it behind me. Carter snored softly from under the blanket, his arm wrapped around my pillow. With a small smile, I walked to the side of the bed and sat beside him. I pushed his hair back then cupped his cheek, kissing his forehead.

He stirred slightly, letting out a low groan. His head turned to the other side, stretching and cracking his back. Carter yawned quietly then moved his head to my lap, humming.

"Hey, sleeping beauty," I teased, playing in his hair.

"Hey," he rasped, bringing his arm to my thigh.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Decent enough," he yawned. "Where's Carmen?"

"She's with Jason. I fed her some nuggets. It's all she was crying for," I chuckled.

"Should've known. You ate something?"

"I had about two omelets. You hungry? I can hurry up and cook you something."

"You're amazing. I'll be out in a few."

I nodded my head, kissing his cheek. He rolled over and I stood up, walking out of the room, closing the door behind me then headed back downstairs.