fourteen

"The movie wasn't that bad."

"It was terrifying," Carter argued, grunting.

"You're such a baby."

"Shut up," he grumbled, crossing his arms.

Carter looks about six foot, buff as hell, and looks like he could slam someone through a wall. Yet, this man was scared of a little movie. I told him to just fall asleep, but he didn't want me to be scared. Unbelievable, right?

"It really wasn't that scary, Carter," I chuckled, getting in the car.

"Well, I want to see your reaction when a demon pops up in your face."

"I might just give it a high five."

I belted out a laugh when he glared at me before speeding out of the parking lot.

Since we ate breakfast before we left, we drove around for a bit, just to get know each other. Then, we watched a few movies. Yes, we were at the movies and watched a bunch of shit, let's not judge.

The point is, so far we've been having a blast. I don't know where we're headed now and every time I ask, he just tells me, "enjoy the ride."

"How come you're staying with Jason?" Carter asked, stopping at a red light.

"After I got away from Liam, I had nowhere else to go. I didn't want to bombard on Natalie and her boyfriend at the time, so I moved in with Jason. We've lived together for a few years now," I told him, pushing my hair back.

He nodded, humming. "Lola obviously knows about the dickhead ex, right?"

"Yeah. It's why she's so overprotective. Worse than Jason, and that's saying a lot," I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Better than them not caring at all."

"Yeah, I know. I don't think I'd survive without them," I said, chuckling.

He glanced at me with a smile as he pulled into a drive thru.

"I hope you're hungry."

"Of course I am."

We both said our orders into the speaker then Carter pulled up in the line, taking out his wallet and pulling out a card. I leaned back in my seat, gently tapping on my thighs while glancing out of the window every so often.

Carter extended his hand out of his window, handing the lady his card. I glanced out the window and she was winking at Carter. When she caught my eye, she instantly looked back at the screen in front of her before handing Carter back his card.

Leaning back in the seat, I let out a quiet hum. Carter noticed and grabbed my hand, kissing my knuckles.

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing, I'm alright," I told him, looking at him.

"You're an awful liar," he chuckled, kissing my cheek. "Guess you noticed what the woman was doing, huh?"

I slowly nodded, my cheeks warming.

Carter laughed a bit before turning my head to face him.

"Who am I in the car with, Red?" He asked.

"Me," I muttered, avoiding eye contact.

"And who have I been taking out on dates, anytime I can," he asked another question.

"Me," I repeated.

"You, and only you. I'm giving my time and attention to you, so don't overthink about other women, alright?"